Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 10 years ago

Gaited horse people (RMH)?

I found one boy I like for my step mom but of course all I know is QHs. A friend who knows RMHs told me he looks pretty good and everything and I'd just like to get multiple opinions from people who know them since I haven't a clue about them. Bloodlines aren't important, I just want to make sure he's put together nicely and everything.

Here's his ad:

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-331825

Here's a video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC7iWmM5wfc

Youtube thumbnail

I really like him so I'm hoping he's good.

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

I think he looks like a really nice horse. The price tag is pretty high for a trail horse but if you don't mind paying that he's definitely worth a look.

I don't really see anything about him I don't like. Yeah, a little slab-sided but so what?

For that price range though tell them they better throw in that plantation saddle they were riding him in. It looked like a Steele. Nice saddle.

If you make a trip out to see him you'll be in mine and Ehawl'z neck of the woods. We'll have to do lunch :)

The ad is titled Rocky - but it says he is registered Kentucky - Not that it is hugly important in the big scheme of things - but the KY MT registtry was an open book until not to long ago, which ment if one of the parents were proven Rocky, and the horse would gait, it could be registered Ky Mt horse. $6000 is blue sky for an asking price.

From what I can see, it looks like there is some farrier work to get that gait looking the way it does - The post above has the shoing backwards - Keg shoes are standard everyday shoes, and Lite Shod shoes are what is used to add weight. More importantly, it looks like there is a longer than stock horse toe with the shoe, which is helping make the nice gait.

Something to consider if you are going to be riding with your mom, this horse is going to walk faster than your QH -

I would certainly go check it out, but see if you can find someone in your area that is familar with gaited horse to help you before buying

Source(s): Own and train TWH & Ky MT

He certainly acts like a nice horse. He's just about 5 yrs old now, so I imagine he may fill out a bit. Personally I find him a little slab-sided and would like to see him deeper in heartgirth for the length of his legs - BUT I betcha he still has another couple years' growing ("width wise") to do. Love his apparent temperament and his gait looks smooth, he seems willing and eager to please, as well as good to work around.

A 'typical' Rocky/Kentucky Mountain/Mountain Pleasure Horse temperament is biddable and willing, calm, takes things in stride. They are very kind horses, not prone to crabbiness or irritating little habits. Excellent trail horses. Should have good bone for their height, as well as good feet. Personally I like this horse well enough from his video to check him out further.

Are you set on a Rocky? Or also open to the other mountain breeds - Mountain Pleasure and Kentucky Mountain Saddle Horse? All Rockies go back to one foundation stallion, "Ol Toby". The other registries are a bit more diverse, but still (should!) have the same typical disposition, build, abilities as the better-known Rocky. The chocolate color is also seen in all registries, and many are double or triple registered in all three.

In the Rockies especially (smaller gene pool) you must be sure they've screened for eye issues. These can happen in any breed, but have been predominant in the Rocky because of the lack of outside (breed) influence. Any responsible breeder/seller will be very upfront about this and offer information on eye clearances. An animal can be a carrier, but not affected - if you're looking for a gelding then it's no big deal, but I wouldn't buy a mare that was a carrier unless I was 100% never going to breed her. Just personal opinion.

In closing, these are AWESOME horses!!! Good luck with your search.

• DelP

You would be paying some for the color, but I like him. The other thing I like is when I checked their page they had 3 more geldings for sale so you can try them out. They have a few mares as well. If you are going all that distance it would be nice to have a few horses to look at. Plus KY has a lot of nice Gaited horses so you can check out a few more farms while you are down there.

Will your step mom be going as well? If she can that would be great as she can see if the horse gaits well for her and is confident.

• I am a Walker person but I will give you my opinion.

He seems a little weak in the neck, but nothing serous.

He looks like he gaits GREAT! Never seems to break and stays gaiting at a higher speed, which is great.

I am not to sure how calm he truly is, he seems like he might actually be a little spooky, so make sure to get him on trail and test him!

I know nothing of bloodlines but over all he does seem like a pretty nice trail horse.

He's quite the looker! He needs more meat on his bones, but his overall conformation is pretty good. And he certainly acts like a good boy-very willing and not fighting with his rider.

I'd see if the owners would be willing to negotiate his price, though. As nice as he seems, $6,000 is on the pricier side for a trail horse.

• Finley

What I don't like about that video is the HUGE SHANK BIT and how it's being used.

This horse looks GREEN. Not totally well trained to be soft and yield to the bit. He's over-bitted.

He opens and closes his mouth a lot....because of the heavy hands, and he tosses his head a few times because of the heavy hands.

With a huge shank bit, you won't see hard pulling by the rider. It only takes an ounce extra of pressure to cause the horse to react because the shank offers huge leverage....too much pressure with very little effort.

That rider even rides two-handed at times. not good. He's overusing the bit because the horse doesn't have a true handle (isn't well trained). He's also high headed (meaning he doesn't know how to relax and accept the bit pressure. he's basically just kept under control by it).

This is a common thing with gaited horses, unfortunately.

What I mean is....the gaited horse is an all around people-pleaser. Gaited horses are very easy going and like being around people. That's what they were bred for. To be ridden on long trail rides on plantations in the south.

Unfortunately, because they are so easy going, people who start them, tend to rush them through their training.....they stick a saddle on their back, put a shank bit in their mouth and get them to gait.

There is no real preparation.

So, basically, you are forcing the horse to stay under "control" by using a big huge shank bit.

That's what I see in that video.

If a gaited horse can be ridden and gaited with a SNAFFLE BIT....on a loose rein....then THAT is a horse who is well trained.

So....if your step mom has a trainer to evaluate this horse and work this horse in a snaffle bit, to make sure he's well trained....then by all means, check out the horse.

I'm going to bet that soon as you put a snaffle in his mouth, you're going to see him blow through it and be high-headed and hollow-backed = pacing....not a good gait for the horse's back and then you will see problems with bolting and/or nervousness.

If your step mom is an advanced rider, doesn't get scared and is confident, she can take a look at this horse, and if knows about horses and how to finish one....then by all means, I'd say, go check out this horse.

If your mom is a regular "average" rider, doesn't know anything about training at all.....doesn't have a trainer.....just wants a truly quiet horse for trails......I don't see this horse being a good match.

I see problems on the horizon with this horse....because of that bit and how the rider is handling the horse....basically just has him over-bitted (too much bit) to get the horse to stay compliant.

I see a green broke horse.

I am in California, and I am a trainer of gaited horse. I have run into this issue with EVERY gaited horse I get in for training.

I don't know where you are but if you're in California....I'd recommend looking up:

>>>>>> http://majesticrider.com/ <<<<<<<<

Even if you're not in Calif....contact that trainer (Gaye Derusso) as she knows people out of state. She could steer you toward a good match for your step mom.

I know this gaited horse trainer personally,....she is honest, and good at what she does. She puts real miles into gaited horses, uses snaffles and knows how to put a good handle on a gentle horse. She only takes in gentle horses, puts work into them and then sells them.

If you're going to spend $6000, you should get a well broke gaited horse. Not a green broke horse that's held back by a big shank bit.

$6000? you're basically paying for the flashy color.

You can find a true better match for $4000.

He looks beautiful and very smooth. Definitely go look and try him out.