Naval Academy or West Point?

I have been offered appointments to both the Naval Academy and West Point, and now I am finding it difficult to make a decision. For a long time, I have wanted to be a Marine Infantry Officer, so it would seem like Annapolis would be the obvious choice, but I'm still not sure. I want to be in the infantry, I know that much, but is it more prudent to go to West Point or the Naval Academy to make that happen? Does being an Army officer from USMA have any advantages that a Marine officer from USNA does not?

• Tom
    Favorite Answer

Congratulations that is awesome! I

1) Are you planning to stay in the service till you retire or just until you fulfill the five year active duty service obligation.

2) Is your desire to serve as a Marine Infantry Officer based on solid knowledge of the Marine Infantry versus Army Infantry or is it grounded on scant actual knowledge of each service branch. The Marines tend to be a much lighter, more mobile infantry as compared to the Army.

3) Aside from Aviation, Marine Officer Mos are assigned/selected after commissioning at TBS in accordance to class rank at TBS based on performance at TBS with the class split into a top 1/3, middle 1/3 and bottom 1/3 with each available Mos assigned equally from each 1/3. In other words being ranked high in the bottom 1/3 trumps being rated much higher overall but a little lower in the top 1/3. There is a definite chance element in Marine Officer Mos selection unless a 2nd Lieutenant is at the top of the TBS class. West Point Cadets select their service branch and it is generally considered that they receive a good portion of slots for the most desirable branches. West Point is assigned X number of Infantry, Intelligence etc slots and the competition is only among West Point Cadets for these slots.

See Mos Handbook at this link for a description of the selection process:

http://www.dcmarineofficer.com/welcomeaboard.html

Watching these videos might be helpful:

Former Marine Captain Nathaniel Fick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaQV0o55pOM

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mBr1UydKf0

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=relmfu

Army General(Ret.) John Abizaid Former Centcom Commander:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3F7Jsc83bU

Youtube thumbnail

Marine General(Ret.) Anthony Zinni Former Centcom Commander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRNdE3pmiOw

Youtube thumbnail

http://conversations.berkeley.edu/content/anthony-...

4) If you did not attend SLS and the Naval Academy Summer Seminar, tour both campuses. West Point is close enough to NYC but extremely isolated. There is essentially a marriage of town and gown at Annapolis. They are very different physical environments. Being rather isolated at West Point on a largely self contained campus that even has its own ski slope could make being largely being restricted to the Academy easier the first two years.

5) Especially for the Navy, it gives a much better chance of attaining high rank to have commissioned at the Naval Academy. There is a disproportionate percentage of Admirals who commissioned at the Naval Academy. In any service branch, having approximately 20% of the officers with a common alumni club gives an old boys network that is advantageous in that service branch and after leaving that service branch in civilian life.

6) Make yourself aware of the locations of the various Army branches and where a member of each branch is likely to be stationed. Become aware of the Navy Bases and Marine Bases. It is generally considered that Navy Bases are in the best locations.

7) Know that the curriculum the first two years is nearly identical at West Point and Annapolis regardless of planned academic major. West Point has a much greater selection of majors than the Naval Academy especially in foreign area studies and languages. Familiarize yourself with the academic programs at both schools. Take a look at the Red Book and the equivalent at the Naval Academy. Explore the course offerings and the requirements for each major at both academies not only the list of majors. Try and speak to Cadets and Midn in any major that might interest you. Inquire about the, teaching, grading and workloads in those majors.

Good Luck!

• herek

West Point Vs Naval Academy

• garon

West Point Naval Academy

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Naval Academy or West Point?

I have been offered appointments to both the Naval Academy and West Point, and now I am finding it difficult to make a decision. For a long time, I have wanted to be a Marine Infantry Officer, so it would seem like Annapolis would be the obvious choice, but I'm still not sure. I want to be in...

Source(s): naval academy west point: https://shortly.im/3Y5oX
  • Susan

West Point is considered by some to be the best college in the USA and ranks higher than the Naval Academy. You make it sound like the choice is yours. You will be lucky to get an appointment to one of them. What you need to do is decide now and then shoot for it.. If your high school as a JR ROTC unit then you need to get in there and do your absolute best. A letter of recommendation from your Commander will help a lot...

Neither of those other guys know what they're talking about. Both are great institutions. The Marine Corps is a much smaller force than the Army, this means: Better quality control, more competitive officer spots, less bureaucratic bs, more camaraderie. The Marine Corps is the most intense service as a whole. That is not debatable. Some idiot will come back with a response about SEALs or Rangers, but I am talking about the service as a whole - not individual units. Marines have a higher level of motivation and are more aggressive than soldiers. Not to bash the Army, but if you took a sampling from each service, the Marines would generally be more impressive.

PS- 2015 is weak.

PPS - Things candidates write on the internet very often come back to plague them as plebes :)

Source(s): I was once in that same position. I am satisfied with my choice every day.

I would suggest the Naval Acadamy, for a few reasons. Once you're there you can see how the Naby and Marines work. If you decide you don't like it as much as you would the Army, you can always transfer over to the Army. The Army has made it very easy now to accept other service members into the Army.

Source(s): SSgt. Air Force
  • cantcu

The Point. Not close.

Not the Army is bigger, does most of the fighting and the dying.

Each year many of the services allow some to go to other services, like some from West Point do get to go to the Marines, and Vice-versa.

West Point...definitely. It'll open alot of doors for you down the road.

If you want to go infantry then go Army, obviously. The Marines work with the Navy, are part of the Navy, but have their own officers to command them.