Question on the religion, Wicca.?

I have been studying a few religions, one being Wicca. In discussing the religion with one who practices the religion I was told I could not practice it because I would first need to go through several blessings. Most everything i had read contradicts what the particular individual said. According to what I read any person can practice the religion under fairly loose restrictions. Can anyone offer insight?

Not saying I am joining right now, but I'm looking into the religion

I am studying others as well

I'm not looking into it to be cool

• ?
    Best Answer

There is no declaration of faith or required "blessings" to be Wiccan.

Someone is trying to have control over you, or is just pulling your leg.

Read Scott Cunningham's "Wicca for the solitary practitioner" it's a very insightful book for someone doing Wicca alone by choice or by chance.

Always remember, with anything dealing with Wicca, or anything else really, never trust any one source. Do your research, ask lots of people lots of questions, and still always follow your instincts.

Source(s): pagan for over 20 years

The answer here is really simple: you need to figure out what you believe. The fact that you feel your cross keeps away demons doesn't mean a thing. Do you believe in the Christian God? Do you believe in Jesus Christ? Then you're a Christian, not a Wiccan. It would make no more sense for you to practice Wicca than it would for you to practice Hinduism. Do you believe in multiple deities? Do you view the universe as the result of complementary dichotomies? Do you beleive in personal connection between us and our gods? Then Wicca might be for you. If you don't believe in any of thise, you're neither Christian nor Wiccan, which still makes Wicca a very silly thing for you to practice. Wicca is a religion. You follow it if you believe it. That's the only reason you follow it. So before you "become Wicca" you need to figure out 1) what you believe 2) what Wicca is and 3) whether your beliefs and that of Wicca are at all compatable.

There are no blessings to be Wiccan, and no you do not have to be over 18 to BE Wiccan but you do to join a coven or have a teacher. It is a religion and one that believes in knowledge and your own path, there is nothing loose about it but it does not force you to follow it. This is often misinterpreted to think that you can do whatever and still be Wiccan, this is not the case, the religion teaches that every path is valid, not that every path is Wicca. There is a general understanding of studying for a year and a day, this is so that you can be sure if Wicca is your path and it also shows commitment. Also after this time we hope you have weeded out the bad information that is flying around.

I think it is good that you are studying all sorts of religions, it builds understanding of others and can help you realize what you do and do not believe in.

Source(s): Wiccan

You need to educate yourself fully on what you want to do before you do it. Don't dabble in Witchcraft until you have studied for a while. Typical time in Wicca is a year and a day of studying before you begin any kind of spellwork.

Understand there is a difference between a Witch and a Wiccan. A Witch is someone who practices Witchcraft. A Wiccan is someone who follows the religion of Wicca, and there is a big difference between the two. You don't have to practice Witchcraft to be considered Wiccan, and not all people who practice Witchcraft are Wiccan.

My personal opinion is that the religion is just a little over 50 years old, and it's both young and unrealistic. It should never be about good and evil, white or black, holy and unholy. There should never be a straight line drawn between the two. It should always be about shades of gray. Wicca was a doorway to Paganism, which then led to Native American Shamanism, which then led me around to the Eclectic title I hold today. Like I said, just my personal opinion.

Source(s): Studying religions for 9 years, a practicing Witch for 7. A fantastic read is "The Power of The Witch" by Laurie Cabot by the way...it's wonderful

No, you don't need any blessings. U need to start doing.

1) Ignore the fundies saying you’ll go to hell and are opening yourself up to demons. They don’t believe in either.

2) Get the book: Wicca, a Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham (Amazon.com used books is a great resource)

3) Avoid Silver Ravenwolf, DJ Conway and most Llewellyn books

4) Do NOT pay for lessons over the internet. You can’t ask for references. Do NOT give out personal information to anyone over the internet. Get a PO Box.

5) www.witchvox.com http://wicca.timerift.net

6) Learn and keep learning about various paths in paganism.

7) get the book: "Drawing Down the Moon" by Margo Adler (an older book that's a little dated, especially concerning Asatru but a good resource) - it gives an overview on a lot of pagan traditions.

8) I’m not a good resource beyond these suggestions. I am not a Wiccan, I’m a Heathen.

Source(s): credit to Aravah for the list

1. Wicca is not loose nor does it have a lack of rules and guidelines.

2. You don't need "Blessings" to be in Wicca, you do have to be legally over 18 AND the year and a day is based on deciding if you want to dedicate yourself in the study of Wicca. if you do, it is a lifetime commitment and a lifetime of learning.

3. It is nowhere near being a watered down anything. Wicca is a polytheistic (2 or more deities) religion and not Christian. We do not follow the teachings of Christ. If you have specific questions I would be happy to answer specific questions.

Oh, and I don't block books because they are not popular with the elite. If you have common sense and are smart, you can get good information out of any author, no matter who they are.

Source(s): Wicca 45+ years

There are different types denominations of Wicca, and they mostly refer to themselves with the same name, that's part of the reason why it's so difficult to get straight forward answers (that and because a lot of the people who are open about it tend to be teens who are in it to look cool). Wicca is generally an eclectic religion, so a lot of it can be molded to fit spirituall needs of individuals; if you're really interested in it talk to people who are part of the sacred well congregation.

The best way to become a Wiccan is to find a teacher. You can do reading and do self-dedication, if you wish. A real Wiccan teacher will not charge money or take advantage of you. Many people read and practice on their own until the right teacher comes along. It all depends on how deep you wish to go.

Source(s): 20 years Wiccan High Priestess

Religions such as Wicca are not based on any one set of rules, so many followers have different beliefs as to what is 'required' to be a follower. This person may have developed his/her own way of becoming a Wiccan follower, but that does not mean that you must follow his/her practices if they do not fulfill you.

Source(s): I'm a Satanist (mainly follow Lucifer). It's kinda an 'open' religion in the sense that many people can have different practices, rituals and beliefes. None of these are nessecarily right or wrong. it depends on what feels right to the individual

Whoever told you that is mistaking the choice to be dedicated with an obligation to be dedicated. They must be new to it.

You may practice a path without the blessings of dedication for as long as you like.

In fact, I teach that one should follow a path for a year before dedicating to it so that they are sure it is the path they want.

Wicca, being the diluted form of Christianity that it is, often leads to simply being Pagan or to some other path once a person begins to get past the introduction of the Pagan world.

Source(s): I became a Pagan Priest in 1985. I am High Priest of Seekers Temple, A Pagan Temple and Store in El Paso, AR. http://www.SeekersTemple.com