Anonymous

how do japanese people treat a hispanic exchange student?

Im hispanic and im going later on this year to japan for a semester in a exchange student program for 11th grade.I heard that the students make fun of you a bit.Im just wondering how would they treat a hispanic over there,Im kinda nervous.Please tell me about your experience .I would be very grateful

Favorite Answer

Because Japan is quite racially and ethnically homogeneous, it is common for Japanese people to think race, ethnicity, and nationality are all the same.

For example, my father is half-Japanese and born in America while my mother is racially European and born in America. However, many Japanese people interpret my family situation as my dad being Japanese and my mom being American. This denies my dad his American citizenship and that he is biracial; also, it assumes that only white Americans are "true" Americans.

Despite your citizenship, be prepared to be identified by your racial features. I am not sure what your nationality is.... but for example... If you explain you are from America, they will assume you and or your parents immigrated to America recently. Even if they understand you are American, you will likely be identified as ____ - American (reflecting your racial features).

This is not always the case and is not true for every person. However, in my experiences, this has happened to me and many other friends with various ethnic backgrounds.

As far as teasing, students are likely to comment on physical features different from their own or state or act out stereotypes they hold of your race, ethnicity, or nationality. In my experience, students' image of anything they interpret as "hispanic" is tacos and soccer. Some may avoid, giggle, or pay very close attention to you. Remember that they are not likely trying to make fun of you or hurt your feelings if you become uncomfortable. More than anything, they are shy, curious, and often have little experience with foreigners in general.

Please enjoy your time and learn from each other.

Source(s): Japanese-American living in Japan; English Teacher in Japan; Studied abroad in Japan; non-native Japanese speaker

I think the families will treat you very well, and welcome you. I'm going to Brazil this summer for study abroad and I've heard the people are very nice, and become very close friends almost like a second family. Of course things can be funny when two different cultures meet, they are so different, especially with the language barrier....it's common for them to laugh when we try and pronounce their words as it would be for a Chinese person trying to speak english, it's improper, and it's funny...I would laugh at them....it's nothing against you it's just something that makes everyone laugh, no disrespect

• M

Same way British people treat Australian exhange student

or

Peruvian people treat French exchange student