promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Can you tap a phone with a police scanner?

i was told at school today and my teacher said you can tap a phone with a police scanner, is this true and how does someone do it. no im not gonna tap any ones phone just out of curiosity

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Im not an expert but imo..

Can't tap a land line.

Can't tap cell phone as frequency ranges are different, as well as, modern day cell transmissions are digital (converted to 1s and 0s electronically) so you would just get a electronic warble of some sort.

The only thing similar is that they both use radio waves.

I don't disagree that with the right equipment, you could sniff out and "decrypt" cell phone audios, but at this level, you are talking about FBI or superhacker type of expertise (and very very very expensive gear to do it).

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Tdz
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

No, "taping" a phone is the action of adding a splitter to the cabled connection at the phone company back when phones were connected by people moving wires (yes it's how it started).

A police scanner scans short wave radios (CBs) and can only catch radio signals from walkies. Some phones have that options...most don't and they use complex algorithms. The "tap" actually happens electronically, and it's the phone company that does everything except listen to the actual conversation (it's illegal, they give a copy to the police).

You can tap through a bluetooth device with ease though, but again, it's not with a police scanner!

Good luck!

• Toby
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Maybe you mean something else, but as far as I know, a police scanner is a radio that lets you listen in on what the police are saying over their radios. I can't figure out how that would have anything to do with phones.

• 9 years ago

back in the day of analog phones, I used to be a radio engineer, and also a qualified Marine radio Officer, with a special license to make and monitor radio-telephone calls.

I had a great bit of kit called Fieldtech RF spectrum analyser, and with a simple 2 foot telescopic antenna, I could monitor the mobile phone band (around 900MHZ ISTR) and watch the signal spikes pop up when somebody started a call, then home in on the spot frequency and listen to the calls.

Nowadays, with digital phones, all I would hear would be "noise", so I'm afraid your teacher is way out of date, and must be as old as me!

PS - police radios nowadays use encrypted digital signals for security - it would take a VERY special crook (and a load of technology) to listen to them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

no offence but your teacher is a dumba*s who dosent know that he/she is talking about

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.