Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 9 years ago

My parents wont let me date!?

They say this is the time to study not hang out with boys... I'm 13 but they say I shouldn't be with guys until I'm 18???!!!! please help me, I know it's ridiculous but serious answers only plz

Guys calm down!!! I'm not going to start dating now, I only like one person but all I am worried about is the future. I'm just scared that on case I find the perfect guy I won't be able to go out with him. So stop telling me I am too young to date because I know that and i am not going to start and just answer my question.

• Poppet
    Best Answer

At 13 you do not need to be dating however your parents stance on dating and socialization of teens is unrealistic. So what to do? Consider your position. Write at the pros and cons of their side and yours. Be honest. Be thoughtful. Try to come up with a compromise. Now, take your prepared list/thoughts/ideas to your parents. Arrange a meeting so you can discuss this topic together. If they brush you off, tell you to shut up or start yelling then you need to very quietly tell them w/o any attitude that if they are unwilling to even consider your position or compromise then they are making a parenting mistake that will only cause drama in the future.

Also, if they don't allow even minimal dating while you are still under their roof how exactly are they going to guide you to good romantic choices. If you leave home at 18 and start dating then there is a good chance you will either go crazy and make terrible choices OR you may turn inward and become socially/romantically awkward.

My personal opinion is that dating is best started at 16. 16 is an age with rites of passage. Drivers license, part time job, dating. They go together. It's part of growing up.

Usually people date in High School at about the age 15, But a lot of my friends dated when they were 13 so I am guessing its okay to date when your 13

I thought it was ridiculous when i was your age too...let me tell you the way it is....i was a 13year old little boy once and that is all they are at that age...little boys, and they wont man up until their early 20's. Don't waste your time, energy or emotion in them...most of them will do what they can to get into your pants at that age...and they'll say and do whatever it takes for you to let them....just be careful and mind your parents...they're looking out for you....

Ask them why and maybe you can convince them, you are quite young, maybe they are afraid you go out with the wrong guys, show your parents you are responsible by dating a guy from school first, and take him home so your parents can see him before you go out with him.

You should compromise, like as long as you get the grades they want you can start dating at say... 15? That's a good middle point I think.

you're 13, you don't need to date. honestly, (unless you're dating guys much too old for you) it's not the most comfortable to be dropped off by your parents for a "date".

You're 13 you shouldn't be concerned with dating. Stop trying to be an adult because you're a CHILD, and enjoy your childhood.

of course they have the right to worry. What if you get pregnant? I am pretty doubt if you will be able to take care of yourself.

Boys are trouble, Listen to your parents...or eat them

What? Im 13 and allowed. sorry :(