Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 9 years ago

Philosophically speaking, Why do we answer questions on Yahoo! Answers?

Ever wonder why we answer questions on Yahoo! Answers? Some people tell me it's because they are bored, but honestly, did you ever really think about it and try to figure out exactly why you answer these questions? Do you think it's because we really always want to be right? or just want to give wrong answers to confuse the questioner? or just get people angry to vent out our misery? Are we really satisfied with answering these questions after doing them for so long, and is it still really worth doing it? What do you think?

Favorite Answer

I spend the majority of my time in R&S. Showing the love of Christ is always worth it, and what better way to show it than right here on a global scale! :D God bless everyone!

• Chili

I don't always expect to be right, and I'm not always bored. As a matter of fact, I sometimes am energized when I come here. I answer because, on certain levels of concerns, even though I do not have a formal education or degree on, I still feel strongly that I can assist, so I lay it down on this board. Sometimes you don't need a formal education, but life skills can suffice appropriately.

For me? It really does fill a need. So many aspects of my life require me to ba a certain person. I censor myself so much & bend myself out of shape in so many situations that I occasionally forget in my real life who I am.

I found this place by accident...what started off as some comical posts drew me in, but I eventually found this place to be kind of therapeutic. And just about the only place on this planet I let my hair down & just be myself. The anonymity is so freeing.

Sometimes I get sick of the stupidity here, but then I break, but always (at least so far) find my way back to here.

• Liz

Answering questions helps me to think through my thoughts on a given subject and to organize them in a way that I can communicate to others. Reading the answers given by others helps me to get an idea of what other people outside my own community of friends and family are thinking. Although I find some of the answers to be crude and unkind, the majority are thoughtful in a way that is different from the way I think and they broaden my thoughts.

• Sonya

Everyone has their own reasons. Mine just happen to be that sometimes I get bored and I come on to answer questions. I also come on to share my knowledge just to feel helpful in any way.

honestly

whatever reasons we comeup with to rationalise it to ourselves

but psychologically i think there are 2 main ones, that go for generally everyone else as well in any and all sites

fear, of whatever , life, death, etc etc

and need for social interaction, and the net feels 'safer' so we get fear and social interaction in one go

actually i make it 3, but this one come sunder fear as well,

we feel 'better' with voicing our views on the net where peopel dont have to 'affect' us

as you said, we want to be right

Yes, I suppose it is to help others mostly -- I've had people help me too, and simply wish to return the favours. Another reason could be because it's interesting in its own right. There's a lot you learn yourself.

Share my knowledge and get inspired from other peoples answers.

• hebb

I do it to share some solutions to problems that I have learned that others have not learned yet.

• wow well im not a "mean answerer" i like helping people and i learn alot along the way:D