Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareOther - General Health Care · 10 years ago

16 year old female low blood pressure?

i got really dizzy and fainted at work last night. i went to the doctors this morning and they took my blood pressure and said it was really low. it was 60/80 or 80/60. why is my blood pressure so low? ive never had this problem before. they drew blood to get a blood count and test my sugar levels. how bad is this blood pressure? the doctor asked if someone had slipped me a pill or something but i know for a fact that this isnt possible.

• S.K.
    Favorite Answer

Low blood pressure is extremely common in young people. It can make your vision dim or temporarily disappear, starting at the edges of the vision field, make you so dizzy you can't walk, or make you faint. Usually it causes no health problems beyond the potential for injury when you fall in a faint.

It tends to rise naturally in the middle adult years.

Common factors contributing to low pressure ‘incidents’ including fainting are heat, first day of your period, getting up quickly, getting up from lying down, standing without moving around, dehydration, and not eating recently enough. You can do something about all of those.

You may find a near-faint resolves almost immediately if you either lie down or sit and put your head between your knees. This gets oxygenated blood to your brain the quickest. Now that you know what fainting feels like before it happens, you can prevent the next one.

People with low blood pressure should get in the habit of moving around before they get up. It's a pain, but worth it considering how easy it is to hurt yourself when you faint and fall badly.

Source(s): I broke a tooth when I fainted, which got me this advice from my doctor

3 years ago, I was diagnosed - hypertension with a reading of 160/100. I used to feel dizzy a lot, my legs had awful cramps, and levels were very low in my potassium, causing my fingers and toes to always cramp together. One day I started to feel really faint while I was driving with my daughter in the back seat and I passed out, hitting 3 cars and ending up in a ditch. That moment,I knew I had to do something because my meds weren't working. I heard about this diet from a friend and thought I'd give it a shot. The results have been remarkable. In just 21 days, I honestly can't remember feeling this good, my blood pressure went from 175/110 to 125/70.

88/50 is that to low for a 16 year old girl blood pressure?

get a complete physical

you might be anemic , have heart issues ..etc or a one time blood pressure drop fluke

whats your "normal " blood pressure

mine is always on the low side 100/80