Spain and America dual Citizenship?

If you are 100% American with no ties to Spain except for the fact that you studied abroad there and loved it, is it possible to get dual citizenship? I plan on teaching English there once I graduate from College and I want citizenship, but I don't want to revoke my American citizenship. How can I do this? I love both countries!!!

6 Answers

  • rnc312
    Lv 4
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    If you acquire Spanish citizenship you will not lose your US citizenship unless you renounce it in front of US authorities or you make your intentions clear that you are giving up your US citizenship. (So, I don't think you would be at any risk of losing it.)

    From the US Department of State:

    "A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship."

    However, in order to be eligible for Spanish citizenship you must legally reside in Spain for ten years. Initially you would have to be on a work visa for five years. After five years of living there you can become a permanent resident of Spain. Staying five years after that would allow you can apply for citizenship.

    So, the difficult part is being able to obtain work visa and renewing it over the course of five years. But if you are able to do that you'll be halfway to becoming a dual citizen of Spain and the US.

    Source(s): Spanish nationality law; U.S. Department of State - Dual Nationality
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    An American naturalizing as a Spanish citizen has to make an oath renouncing previous citizenships. Will the U.S. government then revoke this person’s American citizenship? No. In fact the person can and will continue to use his/her U.S. passport to visit or return to America.

    It is true the U.S. government only sees you as its own citizen but its not against the law to obtain an additional citizenships while remaining an American citizen. Our government may not encourage dual citizenship, but it acknowledges the existence of dual nationality.

    Read the following two paragraphs taken from the U.S. State Department's website:

    The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

    However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.

    Source(s): U.S. State Department
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    If you are a person of an non-Hispanic nation, you have live there 10 years legally in order to become a citizen of Spain. If you of Hispanic ancestry it takes only 2-3 years to become a citizen after obtaining work contract and residency. Residency is obtain after 3 months in Spain with a work contract.

    For now, first, you got to apply and find a job contract. Once hire you need to go to the department of labor and register for residency in the country, this will assure you are in the nation legally and hold a work contract. You cannot enter Spain without a prior work contract and expect to work there legally.

    Entering with a tourist visa, or with any other method, and trying to obtain jobs in Spain would make you an Illegal Immigrant.

  • 10 years ago

    You wouldn't have to. Both Spain and the US support dual nationalities.

    You would have to check in to the immigration laws for Spain, but in general, you need to have lived in a country for quite some time (usually 5 years) on a valid visa before you are eligible to apply for citizenship.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

    that is false! the united states does not recognize dual citizenships. you are either a citizen of this country or you are not. they do not honor you as a citizen of spain and the united states. anyone who tells you other wise is not informed

  • 10 years ago

    Yep, marry a Spaniard.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.