Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 9 years ago

If a drug is not FDA approved would you take it?

If it does not say ''FDA approved.'' Is it safe?

Favorite Answer

Well all that means is that it has not been fully tested nor approved by the FDA.

It doenst mean that it will kill you if you take it.

An example would be that most natural medication is not FDA approved but people still take it.

Of course since its not FDA approved it also means that it doesn't meet their standards and may potentially hasve some side effects. Of course that is all hypothetical.

Depends what you mean by 'drug.' if it legally speaking is a 'drug' then it MUST be FDA approved in order to be legally sold in the USA. Now herbal 'medications' and homeopathic remedies are considered different legally and don't have the same restrictions.

In general I recommended avoiding both. Herbals have some scientific evidence that they may work, but their is no where near enough research to say if they are safe to use, particularly long term or with other medications. Homeopathic remedies on the other hand have a great deal of scientific evidence all pointing to them NOT working at all, in fact if you read up on the beliefs beliefs behind homeopathy you can see they defy everything science knows about the universe we exist in, in sum they are little more than water or sugar...

On the other hand if it is a drug that is approved in other countries, or at least has had a decent sized trial stating that it has worked, which I could review and assess on my own (I have had numerous classes on how to correctly do this) then yes I would be relatively comfortable taking it, but this is not something a lay person without special education and training would be able to accurately assess.

Source(s): doctoral pharmacy student

I wouldn't take it. It wouldn't be safe.