Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 9 years ago

From SUV To Passenger Car: Why So Much In Premiums?

I switched from esurance to Safe Auto because the premium to insure the new 2011 Nissan Sentra, which replaced my 2008 Saturn VUE XE, was too high. The esurance went from $164 a month to $380. I then called Progressive and even though the premium was cheaper, I STILL couldn't afford it. Paying $200-some a month was out of the question. With Safe Auto, I'll be paying $145 a month.

My driving record isn't "littered" with accidents and tickets. All that's being counted against me is one speeding ticket and an at-fault accident so I'm not sure why other insurance companies were quoting me such high premiums. I would've thought, at 33, going from a SUV to a regular passenger vehicle would've lowered my insurance, not have raised it. Anyone know why?

FYI: The ticket and accident were known about w/the prior to companies, esurance and Progressive, so that can't be it.

Favorite Answer

An at fault accident and a speeding ticket can cost you greatly. It depends on the severity of the situation. If the speeding ticket was for 30 mph over the speed limit it will have a greater impact that a 10 mph over ticket. Also, if the accident required a large pay out by the insurance company, that will hurt you much more than a small claim. Going from SUV to sedan doesn't matter much, the replacement cost of the car is what matters, a newer car is generally more expensive to insure. Your credit may also be a factor here.

Source(s): Insurance Agent