AR-15 in .223 or .308?

ok im going to hopefully be purchasing an AR-15 sometime soon and im wondering which caliber would be beter please note this will be a naked gun no optics no for grip nothing im looking for a home defense weapon i live off in the country and sadly some of my neighbors have less than legal habits not only that but... show more ok im going to hopefully be purchasing an AR-15 sometime soon and im wondering which caliber would be beter please note this will be a naked gun no optics no for grip nothing im looking for a home defense weapon i live off in the country and sadly some of my neighbors have less than legal habits not only that but there has been several breakins im not PLANNING on haveing to use it agast some one but if i did have to which caliber would be more up 2 par and also im looking to hit the range with it what is the range of the .223 and .308 in a selective fire weapon? i want to be able to shoot up 2 atleast 250yards my freind had an ak-47 with a red dot optic and we were hitting targets at 400yards or so. which caliber would you select?
Update: you people are missing the point i live ALONE i hardly ever leave the house i OWN a gun safe im wanting something that i could stop some 1 with and not only that i want to go to the range with it did you only read half the question? also not only this but i dislike shotguns useing bird or buckshot because of the... show more you people are missing the point i live ALONE i hardly ever leave the house i OWN a gun safe im wanting something that i could stop some 1 with and not only that i want to go to the range with it did you only read half the question? also not only this but i dislike shotguns useing bird or buckshot because of the scatter beside ive seen buckshot penetrate walls if ur going to sugest another type of ammo or gun please do not post shotguns or handguns unless its reffering to a hi-point carbine
12 answers 12