STS 133 - will it be visible in the UK during ascent?

Will the space shuttle ascent (18 mins or so after launch) be visible in the UK? My location is:

Lydd, 50.9470°N, 0.9120°E

I can't seem to find a tracker.

Many thanks in advance.

I've just checked Heavens Above and there are two visible passes 17.45 and 19.19, and two invisible passes of the ISS at 20.54 and 22.59 suggesting that Alan is right - it'll be there but invisible. Pity.

Best Answer

As you already know, it will pass over but will be in the Earth's shadow tonight. However, look out tomorrow evening and you should be able to see both the shuttle and space station crossing the sky at the same time. At the moment, I'm not sure how far apart they'll be. By Saturday evening, they will have docked, so you should then see one very bright object.

Undocking is scheduled for Saturday March 5th, so you should again be able to see two objects both that evening and on Sunday 6th.

The shuttle was visible from the UK on the 25th (18:49:30 GMT) 3.5 mag at culmination.

The magnitude 1.7 shuttle will be close to the star Eps Orion (Alnilam) at ~18:38:55, 26th February.

Source(s): Jedi skill

Hmmm, ..., No it will not be visible. True, the shuttle is taking a northward track (as it always does when going to the ISS) but it is a northern track up the coast of the US and will be visible from to much of the east coast US. However, I don't believe you'll be able to see it from the UK. See the article below.

• Alan

I just checked Heaven's above.com and they predict the ISS over the UK at 7.19pm.

There is no second pass at 8.50 so I assume the ISS is in the earth shadow at that time and so will be the shuttle.

Pity, you usually see it if the launch is in the evening(UK)

So it will be there but to dim to see being eclipsed.