Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 10 years ago

How can I build up my immune system?

About a month ago, I had a bacterial infection.

My doctor prescribed me an antibiotic and it helped.

Now I believe I'm coming down with something else!

Which food and beverages would help build my immunity?

Should I begin taking vitamins? If so, which would you recommend?

Favorite Answer

I am surprised that no one else mentioned this- exercise - regular exercise is a key element to keeping your immune system healthy -even if you only do 15-20 min a day 5 days a week it has great benefits

-foods that boost immunity are:

a) Vitamin C. Vitamin C tops the list of immune boosters for many reasons. Vitamin C supplements are inexpensive to produce, and it's available naturally in many fruits and vegetables.

b)Vitamin E. This important antioxidant and immune booster.Vitamin E stimulates the production of natural killer cells, those that seek out and destroy germs and cancer cells. Vitamin E enhances the production of B-cells, the immune cells that produce antibodies that destroy bacteria. Vitamin E from a diet rich in seeds, vegetable oils, and grains.

c) Zinc. This valuable mineral increases the production of white blood cells that fight infection and helps them fight more aggressively.main sources for zinc are oysters, zinc-fortified cereals, crab, beef, dark meat and beans.

d) Omega-3 fatty acids. A study found that children taking a half teaspoon of flax oil a day experienced fewer and less severe respiratory infections and fewer days of being absent from school. The omega 3 fatty acids in flax oil and fatty fish (such as salmon, tuna, and mackerel) act as immune boosters by increasing the activity of phagocytes, the white blood cells that eat up bacteria.

c)Garlic. This flavorful member of the onion family is a powerful immune booster that stimulates the multiplication of infection-fighting white cells, boosts natural killer cell activity, and increases the efficiency of antibody production.

*****You should not do the following:

1)Overdosing on sugar

2)Excess alcohol.

3)Too much fat.obesity can depress immunty.

4)Food allergens. dont eat foods you are allergic to.

Source(s): AskDrSear.com

Blueberries and green tea are high in antioxidants which are great for a strong immune system! Also a balanced diet and any citrus fruit for vitamin c. And that's a great start... don't forget some daily exercise especially walking.

Ok I'm no pro and i only know of a couple things. Take vitamins and oranges =]