What does "Refer to Maker" mean on a check?

I deposited my paycheck a week ago and I just got in the mail, a copy of my check that says "Refer to Maker" And There is a service charge. What does this mean? Did my paycheck bounced? Did I get paid? I also got a service charge from the bank. Please tell me what I should do. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Your check did bounce. Refer to Maker is a blanket endorsement that means the situation is more severe then just not being available at the time the item was presented. Most likely a levy was placed on your employer's accounts and that is why they can not pay the check for you at this time.

The check bounced. You get charged an NSF fee for the bad check and the deposit is reversed. Refer to Maker means to contact the person who wrote the check.

Before you go off on your employer, it could be an honest error. It could also be the sign of a struggling business. ASK questions before doing anything rash.

As the check from your employer has bounced, you need to take the check back to your employer and ask them to pay for the bounced-check fee. It's not your fault it bounced. That's one reason some people won't use banks, they can't trust their employer so they cash their checks at cash-checking businesses and let those businesses get into legal fights with the employer.

Meanwhile, start looking for another job, even a part-time job, because if this business fails or has to lay you off because they just don't have the money to pay you, you still need money !

• Janet

Yes they are just referring to the colour of the nose. I am from the UK and I know that the colour of the nose is nothing but colouration and doesn't mean anything but most people if you have a PitBull then it is just a PitBull but if it has a red or blue nose then some people call them red or blue nose Pits trying to make is sound glamorous I think. I think that in the US when it is said to be a "Red Nose" or "Blue Nose" then people are referring to those Razors Edge hippos that some people associate with PitBull which to me is offensive and probably most people who have a proper knowledge of PitBulls.

• Bob

You were given a bad check so have a talk with the person that gave you the check.