Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomOther - United Kingdom · 9 years ago

Is it safe for a 19 year old girl to travel around the UK alone?

I'm an American going to England this coming fall to study abroad. I'm staying at a university in Northern England, but I want to travel around as much as I can while I'm overseas and go to cities such as London or Edinburgh when I have time off on weekends.

I was just wondering if, hypothetically, I got to England and couldn't find anyone to travel with, would it be safe for me to go to places on my own? I had a friend who was coming with me, but she can't go anymore for financial reasons. I've traveled quite a lot but never traveled by myself before.

I'm not opposed to traveling alone, I'm pretty independent minded and have common sense. But one drawback is I'm really small and look much younger than I really am, which makes me a little more hesitant to go alone.

• Minnow
    Best Answer

Yes, so long as you are smart about it. Stay out of bad neighborhoods, don't buy drugs, don't walk alone at night in dark areas, don't get too drunk, don't go home with strange men, etc. In other words, practice the same kind of safety you would at home. Do your research so you know where you should go in a particular city and where you shouldn't.

I traveled around UK alone when I was 20 and didn't have a problem. I'd feel much safer traveling there than I would in most parts of the States TBH.

• Jas B

England is a lot safer than many parts of America, we have a much lower rate of serious crimes than you do. Having said that you need to have common sense, which you say you have. Just be street wise and take the same care you would in any American city and you will be fine. A few statistics to reasure you, gun ownership is severely restricted in the UK, even our police do not carry them, except for highly trained armed response units and the UK do not even make the last list.

Having said that if you are at university here you will no doubt make friends who will be happy to go visiting with you.

You should be fine so long as you use the all important common sense that you say you have .Do most of the travelling during the day and avoid dodgy areas of major cities and you should have a great time , enjoy the visit.

I think RR as usual gives the best answer. Just keep out of the parts of large cities you'd keep out of in the U.S. If you're using the train to travel, there are of course staff on all trains and closed circuit cameras on most, and we have cameras on our city streets as well. I have been travelling around on my own since the age of 9 and have rarely felt in danger

• RR

The vast majority of UK is perfectly safe. Even our policemen don't carry guns.

However, like all over the world, there are predators about. If you stay with crowds and stay away from rough areas at night, you should be fine. The tourist areas are crowded and safe.

being alone anywhere has its risks, however you can avoid risks by knowing what to do. I hate to do this, but you need to go search for "uk travel tips" or something similar and take note of any tips that apply to what youre doing. if you decide you can do it, go for it, but still be cautious.

if your alone travel at daytime

it gets pretty dangerous at nights if your alone...watch out for chavs, they won't bother you if your with someone else or in a group

make friends in the university and ask them to come along

so long as you use your brain; don't get drunk, don't go down dark alleys, don't wear an ipod, keep an eye on your bag. Then you'll be fine.

and DON'T bring offensive weapons; mace, pepper spray etc. They are all illegal here.