Who killed Goliath? David or Elhanan? (NIV)?

Everyone knows of the story from 1 Samuel 17:41-51 where young David kills Goliath the giant with just a sling shot but how many people know of the story in 2 Samuel 21:19 that credits Elhanan as the killer of Goliath? If you read the King James Version or New Living Translation of the Bible it will say that... show more Everyone knows of the story from 1 Samuel 17:41-51 where young David kills Goliath the giant with just a sling shot but how many people know of the story in 2 Samuel 21:19 that credits Elhanan as the killer of Goliath? If you read the King James Version or New Living Translation of the Bible it will say that Elhanan killed the "brother of Goliath" but the addition of "brother" was added during the English translation to cover up the obvious contradiction. Most English versions of the Bible still also credit Elhanan as the killer of Goliath and more importantly so do all of the Hebrew scriptures. The words "brother of" do not appear anywhere in the oldest scriptures of 2 Samuel.
Update: @goodanddead Yes, I study world religion at the University of Notre Dame @Marjah @HC360 Elhanan is said to be a knight in King David's elite fighting force "The Thirty" the story found in 2 Samuel was written much earlier than the tale of young David in 1 Samuel. The pro-David version of the story was actually... show more
@goodanddead Yes, I study world religion at the University of Notre Dame

@Marjah @HC360

Elhanan is said to be a knight in King David's elite fighting force "The Thirty" the story found in 2 Samuel was written much earlier than the tale of young David in 1 Samuel. The pro-David version of the story was actually borrowed from the earlier Elhana version. As David became the greatest hero of the Judean court Judeans were eager to believe their founding king was capable of great deeds so they started to apply ancient stories of triumph to David. A few key indications that the slaying of Goliath was inserted into David's story includes the fact that the name Goliath only appears twice during the stories of David. The several other references to this warrior simply describe him as "the Philistine." The manner in which Goliath's name appears suggests that it was a later insert into the story. Also 1 Samuel mentions that after Goliath was killed his head was brought to Jerusalem but accordi
Update 2: @goodanddead I should note that i haven't seen the original oldest copies, but have viewed and studied copies of them.
Update 3: @Marjah @HC360 Elhanan is said to be a knight in King David's elite fighting force "The Thirty" the story found in 2 Samuel was written much earlier than the tale of young David in 1 Samuel. The pro-David version of the story was actually borrowed from the earlier Elhana version. As David became the greatest hero... show more @Marjah @HC360

Elhanan is said to be a knight in King David's elite fighting force "The Thirty" the story found in 2 Samuel was written much earlier than the tale of young David in 1 Samuel. The pro-David version of the story was actually borrowed from the earlier Elhana version. As David became the greatest hero of the Judean court Judeans were eager to believe their founding king was capable of great deeds so they started to apply ancient stories of triumph to David. A few key indications that the slaying of Goliath was inserted into David's story includes the fact that the name Goliath only appears twice during the stories of David. The several other references to this warrior simply describe him as "the Philistine." The manner in which Goliath's name appears suggests that it was a later insert into the story. Also 1 Samuel mentions that after Goliath was killed his head was brought to Jerusalem but according to the Bible Jerusalem was under the rule of the Jebusites when David was
Update 4: Damn i keep getting cut off :p ... sorry
12 answers 12