How do you define "rescue animal?"?

Shelter animals and animals acquired from "rescues" are definitely rescue animals. But how far outside this definition do you think it's acceptable to use the term "rescue?" I'm asking because I called my cat a rescue cat today, and somebody said he's not actually a rescue if I... show more Shelter animals and animals acquired from "rescues" are definitely rescue animals. But how far outside this definition do you think it's acceptable to use the term "rescue?"

I'm asking because I called my cat a rescue cat today, and somebody said he's not actually a rescue if I didn't get him from a rescue.
WHAT?
I saved his life by picking his sickly body up off a busy road and nursing him to near perfect health.
Um...

My mom calls one of her cats a rescue because a lady was going to take her to a no kill shelter and mom took her in instead. (Mom was acquaintances with this lady and already had a bond with the cat.)

Anyway - the question - how broad a definition of "rescue" is acceptable in your view?
Update: EDIT - The lady was going to take the cat to a KILL shelter. Not no kill.
ugh.