Atheists: Informal Poll on education levels?

I have NO POINT OTHER THAN TAKING A SURVEY. I'm trying to get as large a sample size as possible. It is JUST A SURVEY. There is NO ulterior motive. It's basically a yes-or-no question survey

1. Have you have taken maths that were beyond Differential Equations (Calculus IV)?

2. Have you have taken physics courses that were beyond University Physics II (or something similar. An introduction to optics, electric flux, ect ect.)?

3. Have you taken any courses that dealt with high-energy cosmology (quasars, pulsars, ect)?

4. Have you taken any courses that were based on the principles of Quantum Mechanics (Quantum Field Theory, Applications of Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Electrodynamic Theory)?

5. What was your major in college/what is your major/what are you planning on majoring in/where does your primary interest in STEM lay?

Thanks!

Lan

Wow. What's up with all the hostility? This is for a paper...

Rick L: Shut up. I've been nothing but nice here. Check my activity. I don't attack anyone on R&S, except ignorant retards like you.

Thanks to all those who have answered! Much appreciated!!!!!! :)

Elsie : STEM is Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. :)

Favorite Answer

1. Yes (got my Master's degree in math).

2. Yes.

3. Yes (both at university and personal study, as I'm an avid amateur astronomer).

4. Yes.

5. I got 2 Bachelor of Science degrees, in computer science and electrical engineering; and a Master of Science degree in mathematics.

Peace.

p.s. lately I've been considering doing my Ph.D in astronomy, as there's a good on-line program from a major university that's reasonably priced. Just for fun, not for career (I'm already semi-retired).

1. I have not taken calculus. the highest math I took in high school was trigonometry. I did take a course on probabilities in college.

2. No, I am not good at advanced calculations and couldn't pass the math courses required to enter any advanced physics classes.

3. I took basic astronomy three times. Ahem. See above caveat regarding my lack of mathematical prowess.

4. No.

5. My major was English, emphasis on creative writing, with a minor in women's studies. I don't know what STEM is.

None of this has anything to do with my lack of belief in any deities, of course, because atheist =/= scientist.

• Rick L

Sure, you have NO ulterior motives at all. You just want to know how many 'atheists' have highly advanced qualifications / degrees in science - almost as if you want to imply that if we do not, then we aren't 'qualified' to make decisions on anything that might be based off of those sciences.

You know, like 'The Big bang', 'The Creation of life', 'Evolution', etc..

I'm not a 'Scientist' - I work with computers, and do some writing. My college was limited to some math courses I had to take, and the English courses I was interested in. I never sought, or even wanted, a degree of any kind.

NOTE: None of the above is 'required' to be an atheist. It's a personal opinion on the existence of 'god'. That is all.

1. I took math in my last year of high school (the year before I went to University). There was some calculus, but somehow I doubt it was IV. (Graduated high school in '74).

2. I took physics in '74.

3. No.

4. No.

5. I have a bachelor of Fine Arts with specialized honours in Dance. What is STEM?

Source(s): Humanistic Atheist who worked as a library technician and mother.

1. No (About as complex and abstract I got was Calc I)

2. Not certain by your definition (had 3 physics courses in college: basic, optics and electromagnetism)

3. No

4. Not really...a few of my EE and chem courses touched on the subject

5. Computer Science with Chem minor

1. say what? (I'm guessing that's a no on that one.)

2. ... is this an american survey? i'm getting more and more lost.

3. no.

4. Nein, mein fuhrer

5. ... We don't have majors in college where I live... only in university... I'm not sure what STEM is, but I'm going through to be a social worker. My interest is to work with people, to make their lives better however I can.

What has any of this to do with making the simple statement that one doesn't believe in a god?

An atheist can be anywhere on the spectrum of human existence---there is no pattern or organization to atheism.

I feel rather certain that the one BiLLION atheists in the world did not embrace the science credentials of perhaps .0000000000000000000000000000000001% of the population of the earth.

• Sd Sd

1)yes

2)yes

3)no

4)yes

5)currently on the last 2 semester(including this one) of a Computer science degree with a math minor. Was computer science and physics till about 6 months ago

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No, but have read about them

4. No but have read several books about those subjects by Stephen Hawking

5. BA Film, MA Education - don't know what STEM is unless you are referring to Stem cell research, which I support.

No to all of them. I've never taken incredibly advanced classes in anything, and as a matter of fact, I've never even been to college. I'm just a guy who thinks the claims for a supreme being are unbelievable. As far as my level of knowledge and overall intelligence, I'm average at best.