Can a landlord in North Carolina change locks and hold your possesions for late rent without a court order?

My landlord is wanting me gone for late rent, and I don't blame him. However he is saying that if I don't pay by the end of the day today he will demand the keys and possesion of the property. Obviously I don't have time to get a moving truck by then. He has not filed any papers in court yet, so I... show more My landlord is wanting me gone for late rent, and I don't blame him. However he is saying that if I don't pay by the end of the day today he will demand the keys and possesion of the property. Obviously I don't have time to get a moving truck by then. He has not filed any papers in court yet, so I thought I would get the 10 day notice FROM the courts, not a 12 hour notice from him.
Update: Edit: Okay I am confused when some say yes some say no, so could the ones who answered please clarify one thing... I am under the impression that regardless of the lease it is the law that a landlord MUST evict through the courts. Regardless of past due rent, etc. if he has not filed in court he cannot tke... show more

Edit: Okay I am confused when some say yes some say no, so could the ones who answered please clarify one thing... I am under the impression that regardless of the lease it is the law that a landlord MUST evict through the courts. Regardless of past due rent, etc. if he has not filed in court he cannot tke possesion of the property right? I think when he said he will have to "ask for the keys back and demand immediate possesion of the property" It was as a formality, obviously if I refuse he has to go to court to enforce it right ?