Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificThailand · 10 years ago

Living Full Time in Thailand?

My boyfriends company has recently opened up a new shop in Thailand and people are being offered job positions over there. Being that the American dollar stretches far over there we'd be able to get a very nice and huge house in one of their gated communities located right next to an amazing ocean view. It all sounds spectacular but I would be leaving literally everything I know behind, and I realize no matter how American it looks there would still be a huge cultural difference. Not to mention I have yet to learn to speak any Thai and I have a one year old daughter that I am worried about bringing over there. If anyone has been for more than just a vacation or knows someone who lives there I'd really appreciate some opinions or advice on living there if I should choose to go. Thanks very much!

Favorite Answer

You have to be a little more positive about this transfer. One thing to remember is that you will be in a location where you will be able to sock a lot of money away - unless you foolishly spend it as you earn it! For a low price you can even have a maid - babysitter! Here is an opportunity for you to visit other nearby countries while you are living in Thailand without paying a for an expensive flight from your own country. Now you know how military families feel when the government sends them to other countries - but they go anyway! This can be an opportunity for your husband to advance in his company that he would never be able to do back home.

In Thailand you will find modern malls, excellent supermarkets, decent hospitals and dentists plus cheap transportation. There is no real immediate need for you to learn the Thai language other than thank you, hello and a few simple numbers. When shopping, in hotels, in supermarkets there is always someone who can understand enough English to help you out. (Over 15 million tourists visited Thailand last year, very few of them had any knowledge of Thai except for hello and thank you!) Street signs are in Thai and English in most places where tourists are present. Depending on where your husband will be working there may be no need for him to drive at all because local transportation is cheap and easy to use.

There are several support groups available for you. There are thousands of people who would love to have this opportunity to work in Thailand especially at a good wage level! There are thousands of expats living in Thailand with their family members. If you are there long enough to need a school for your kid there are private schools available. This is an excellent opportunity to experience a new country and and also save a lot of money living a life that you probably could not afford to do in your own country!

Below travel forums have additional information. Thai Visa Forum has a section for children in Thailand, women living in Thailand and other household help.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293915-i3686...

If you do take the job you might have to decide how you will be paid, will your money go to a bank in your country or will you be paid in Thailand. If you do take the job open a couple bank accounts at home with debit cards you can use in Thailand. It might be better to have a lot of your income go to a bank in your country in case you want to go home quickly.

Good luck.

I lived in Thailand for a few years and I visited regularly before that. It's hard to describe life there because everyone does different things and experiences things differently.

I really enjoyed my stay there but I know that people who started work with me, and who had never been there before, left after only a month.

The best would be to go and see for yourself. You have options and you don't need to stay if you don't want to.

I certainly would take a chance by going over. Just to experience life in a completely different culture is an enriching experience.

The years I spent there were the best of my life and I have lived in and visited a number of different countries. I was sad to leave Thailand and to return home.

You can't rely on what people tell you. You have to experience it.

The only advice which I would give you is start to learn Thai before you leave. Knowing some Thai will make life easier.

You might not have to worry about living in Thailand at all. Unless you also have a job offer you and your daughter will only be able to get a tourist visa so a long term stay is not in the cards.

It is not as isolated as you might think - the third world is now the developing world and you might find it more advanced in some ways than where you are - with internet access everywhere, you will not have to be out of touch - not sure where you are from or where you will be living - as places make a difference to what you are asking - it is another culture and a fascinating one at that. There will be alot to learn if you open yourself to it. If you want to close yourself off, many foreigners come here and learn nothing, not even to speak a few words of Thai.

Look at it as an oppt.

Thailand isn't dangerous if you aren't stupid. The only real 'danger' is that you husband might partake in the local women. Most western men in Thailand join the culture of occasionally sleeping with the bargirls. Beware. Of course, as a foreign woman you would have the opportunity to get some too if you like.

GeoMark is correct. Unless you're married, the chances of you and your daughter getting anything other than a 60 tourist visa is slim.

It is not as isolated as you might think

the third world is now part of the developing world and you might find it more advanced in some ways more than your own place

Internet and wifi access is everywhere,

not sure where you are from or where you will be living -

as places make a difference to what you are asking - it is another culture and a fascinating one at that depends where you go

There will be alot to learn if you open yourself to it dont be a gobby american and expect to rule the area you are in as they so often do

If you want to close yourself off, many foreigners come here and learn nothing, not even to speak a few words of Thai.

Alyssa nice name ;)

IBasically n Thailand you will find modern malls, excellent supermarkets, decent hospitals and dentists plus cheap transportation.

There is no real immediate need for you to learn the Thai language other than thank you, hello and a few simple numbers. When shopping, in hotels, in supermarkets there is always someone who can understand enough English to help you out.

Street signs are in Thai and English in most places where tourists are present. Depending on where your husband will be working there may be no need for him to drive at all because local transportation is cheap and easy to use. dont worry about it

Source(s): Go Red Sox Go Boston