Is it illegal to wear a bullet proof vest through airport security?

Bulletproof vest aren't illegal anywhere as far as I know they do no harm. But would it be a bit suspicious if someone passed through airport security with one on or would the metal ditectors even beep. And can you wear it in the plane to another country. But pratically how would security even know it is a bullet proof vest it's like a warm jacket . Thnx

Best Answer

As the others have said before... it's not illegal...

But why give a wannabe cop a reason to pull you out of line, and ask for his other buddies to come and hassle you?

On top of that, WHY on earth would you want to wear a bullet resistant (yes, you heard me right) jacket in an airport? That's quite possibly the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. You can pack it in luggage and pick it up afterwards.

Source(s): Avid shooter/Experienced Machinist/TSA: Just not good people...
    • cause I'm not white, I only have a working visa and trump is the president. thats a pretty good reason to bring body armor to america.

• maiden

Security Bullet Proof Vest

• joe3 years agoReport

Bet you wouldn't be saying that now..........

I can not find any regulation that absolutely bans you from wearing a ballistic vest through airport security.

However, just the fact that you are wearing such a garment would rouse suspicions and you would be pulled out of line and questioned as to why you were wearing it. I think some authority would find a reason to keep you off the flight.

Would the vest be detected? Contrary to what some here have answered, there is no metal in a typical soft vest, like what the police wear. It would not set off a metal detector. However, the new full body scanners would pick it up. The vest would show up on the screen as a dark shadow over your torso. Of course, any pat down search would quickly detect the vest.

• John Hogen4 years agoReport

Depends on the vest - Some soft vests will have a metal insert in front of the heart called a "trauma plate" which is used to soften the impact. Some vests have it built in, some are removable.

"Bullet proof vests have metal in them...So it would make the machine go off"

None of my vests has ever had any metal in it.

"Also a bullet resistant vest is bulky and weighs like 10-20 pounds"

I have gone througha half dozen of them in the last 29 years and the heaviest one I had was about 6 pounds.

"after a while it would get uncomfortable to wear."

I routinely wear them for 12-18 hours per day with little or no discomfort.

"First-There's no such thing as a bullet proof vest, only bullet resistant."

True.

.

Source(s): 34 years shooting 29 years cop 25 years cop firearm instructor
    • John Hogen4 years agoReport

• Sioux

With the idiots that write the laws today, I am sure that some state, county, city or small govt division has made a protective vest against the law in some form or another. These same legislators condemn some folks as being paranoid when the truth is that most of our laws are based upon stupidity and paranoia. Watch out for govt. and the oddball ways they think about the average citizen. Thank God and James Madison that we have the Constitution of the United States of America, otherwise we would all be marching on Washington just as they are marching on Tripoli, Cairo, ETC.

• ?

Believe it or not they do have laws stating that you cannot commit a crime while wearing a "bullet proof" (none exist, even if they do they would be way too bulky). If you are wearing the new vest that the military uses called Dragon Skin i believe that it is made out of Kevlar or some sort of fabric and i don't think the the average is going to fork over the $6000 plus for that vest. Though it is effective in resisting a 7.62x39mmR. An old friend of mine has a flak vest that he always use to wear to school, til we were freshmen in high school and the liaison officer told him that it was against school rules to wear one. Though it is not listed in there at all he still had to leave it at home.

Also a bullet resistant vest is bulky and weighs like 10-20 pounds, after a while it would get uncomfortable to wear. Dragon Skin armor is a tan/beige color to it and anyone in the military or has seen Future Weapons with "Mack" might be able to identify it and call security over cause that person could have a concealed weapon under it.

• ?

If you love getting a lot of excessive attention then this is the attire to wear through airport security. Not too long ago, the TSA forced my beautiful young sister-in-law to endure being strip searched before they would allow her to board a flight back home.

The reason for this compelled strip search? My SIL was only carrying an overnight bag and had no other luggage with her. Why was my SIL traveling with only a shoulder bag? Her mother was home in the hospital dying. (No thanks to the TSA, she just made it in time to say good-bye!)

First-There's no such thing as a bullet proof vest, only bullet resistant.

Second-Even if it is legal, anyone wearing a concealable vest is going to get boned in some way or another by the security-theat's just suspicious as hell.

Third-Yes, the metal detectors will pick it up. And there's no way you're going to pass it off as a "warm jacket." Any guard worth his salt is going to know what that is instantly.

Source(s): Knuckle Head...
    • John Hogen4 years agoReport

It depends if the vest have a metal plate in it. Some do, some don't. If there's no metal plate, the metal detector isn't going to pick it up, I've seen this happen before. Full body scans or an x-ray is a different story though.

• Contact your local airport and ask.

Bullet proof vests have metal in them...So it would make the machine go off

Why do you want to wear a bullet proof vest on a plane? Who will shoot you?