Tink
Tink asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

The Battle of 1812 (U.S. v Britain) or The Battle of 1812 (Napoleon's invasion of Russia) Which would you....?

have avoided fighting in, at all costs?

Now, I'm sure that Russian winter will initially deter everyone, but bear in mind New England has some of the most extreme weather on the planet, AND there were a whole lot of really angry natives playing sides.

I'm stirring a pot, really. Wondering what other folks have to throw in...

Why the wind chill is -23 right now at Mt. Washington....See, I knew everyone would assume Russia was colder...

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/

Technically, the war of 1812 was several years long, I chose "battle of 1812, as a matter of selecting that year....and I do consider New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts and Connecticut to be New England...Especially where the British invaded from the north, so the weather at Mt. Washington would be relevant.

Favorite Answer

The Battle of 1812 (US v Britain)? Don't you mean the WAR of 1812. Because that was a war, not a single battle. And Napoleon's Invasion of Russia wasn't a single battle either. And if I had to avoid the War of 1812 or Napoleon's Invasion of Russia, I'd avoid the latter. Climate has nothing to do with it, it's the fact that the Russians burned their own farms. Napoleon streched his supply lines extremely thin so that the army would have had to live off the Russian farms the further into Russia they went in order to survive. But they weren't able to do that. So they were starving to death which was then combined with the below freezing conditions of the Russian winter.

Most of the War of 1812 WAS NOT fought in New England. So New England weather played very little role. Plus there was no burning of farms to force the British to strech their supply lines thin.

And the current temp and wind chill on Mt. Washington is meaningless to both wars. Tell us the temps and wind chill during the War of 1812 and Napoleon's invasion. That is what matters

Edit: New York is not a part of New England. And as I said, the current conditions on top of the second largest mountain on the east coast is irrelevant to the historical events you are asking about. The weather conditions of the period are relevant.

• ludden

i might avert Napoleon's invasion. no longer merely the chilly however the aftermath of the conflict. The starvation on the holiday lower back. Mass graves for human beings that died of starvation and not from conflict wounds.

I'd avoid Napoleon's invasion. Not just the cold but the aftermath of the battle. The starvation on the trip back. Mass graves for folks that died of starvation and not from war wounds.

• tuffy

Napoleon's Invasion of Russia which was poorly planned and poorly executed. The Russians retreat should have given him some clue that the slashing and burning of any usable supplies was going to leave his army with no supplies. Then when the truth slapped him upside his head, he abandoned his army and fled back to France, with his army ( or what was left of it) in Russia.

It doesn't reach -40 degrees in New England in the Winter,and if you're French, marauding Cossacks - on horseback with firearms and lances - were a nastier prospect than Native Americans.

So, I'd go with avoiding Napoleon's invasion of Russia.