Are there any volunteer programs similar to International Student Volunteers (ISV)?

I found a program I would love to volunteer with, but it is veryyyyy expensive. For 5 weeks it would cost around $5,000. The resason I really like ISV though is because its not just volunteering. For the first week you are living with a host family for a spanish emersion program. Then you volunteer for 2 weeks which i wanted to do somthing with the children in the community. Then for the last 2 weeks you go on an adventure tour which is what makes this different than any other program i have heard of. I would travel all around the Dominican Republic-- which is where i wanted to go with ISV-- and they have tons of fun activities planned like horseback riding, white water rafting, hiking, canyoning, swimming in the ocean, and so many other awesome things. If anyone knows any program that is remotely similar that would be awesome. Thanks!!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of these organizations. Here are directories of short-term volunteering organizations, online and in print, that can help you identify credible programs:

* Idealist.org International Volunteerism Resource Center (IVRC) has both advice and links to programs.

* There is a listing of the more-than-30 member organizations of the International Volunteers Program Association (IVPA) that is a good place to find reputable volunteer-for-a-fee programs.

* For people in the United Kingdom, there's the Year Out Group, an association of gap-year-abroad organizations that meet certain standards in order to be a member. The Year Out Group does not however organize or arrange year out programs, but it's a good place to find reputable programs.

* There is this web page of a massive number of links to organizations that place volunteers internationally; this is a mixture of organizations that do and don't charge volunteers for placements.

* The Learning Abroad Center Work, Intern, Volunteer (WIV) Database, hosted by the University of Minnesota, allows you to search work, internship and volunteering opportunities all over the globe. There are more than 500 programs to choose from, and you can search by keyword, region, type of program, etc.

* The Complete Guide to Finding a Job Overseas, from Transitions Abroad Publishing.

* Lonely Planet published the book Volunteer: A Traveler's Guide to Making a Difference Around the World. It lists and reviews more than 190 organizations that provide short-term volunteer-abroad experiences.

And you can find the links to all these sites here:

Funding Your Volunteering Abroad Trip

http://www.coyotecommunications.com/stuff/fundinga...

• seelye
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Isv Volunteer

• xabz
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

the programs which charge $ 5,000 normally offer a lot for the volunteer, and sometimes this is good but there are also much cheaper and affordable programs which go for about $ 1100. They offer the same services but in a limited capacity. Checkout http://www.volunteercapitalcentre.org for quality and affordable programs

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

properly it could make you experience such as you're returned domicile, they have some somewhat risky creratures there. snakes fer-de-lance,bushmaster,eye lash vipers,quite a few species of black widows,poison dart frogs,clia clias, which the well known snack is the fer de lance,crocs,caimens,yet they dont have the fairway anaconda a minimum of,they have some smaller variations with the comparable nasty ideas-set however,then there is the lovable little vampire bats,and dragon flies which will combat you over the espresso pot in the mornings. yet somewhat costa rica is somewhat tremendously, friendly to three quantity,theft is taken with none attention and you could to boot anticipate it first threat somebody gets. relies upon on the place you're going additionally port limon, has a a procedures better inhabitants of mestizo indians and african respectable people,different aspects are indiginous tribes in the better component of the atlantic coast.the pacific coast in play land for the main section,basically pay attention everywhere off of costa rica is shark territory additionally. vast bull sharks to overly large hammerheads to makos to the large white.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.