Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 10 years ago

Film buffs: Let's use this thread as a place to recommend underrated movies?

Dedicate as many underrated films as you'd like, spread some knowledge.

I'll recommend a comedy film (with a slight hint of drama) from 1993. It stars Robert De Niro, Bill Murray, and Uma Thurman, and is actually produced by Martin Scorsese. The film is very well-done, mature, and has quality humor.

LMAO. I'm an idiot. I would forget to put the title. Yeah it's Mad Dog & Glory.

• Donny
    Favorite Answer

Welcome to the Rileys- just watched it. Gandolfini and Melissa Leo, alright movie but incredible acting

i'm pretty sure YOU have seen most of these, but I'll recommend them for other people:

Hard Eight

The Boxer

The Last Temptation of Christ

...And Justice for All

Bringing Out the Dead

Becoming Jane - yeah I know people don't really like romance, but this movie is underrated. I mean it got a 6.9 on IMDB, but it's not one of those romantic movies where they actually end up together. There's a lot more than "should I be with you or not" because there's family matters involved and so on. I think Hathaway did great (though I guess I'm bias) accent was pretty good too, it's even hard for me to pull off an English accent even though I lived/was born there for 7 years

I think $9.99 is underrated. It can be realistic (other than you removing all of your bones and being turned into a chair) but at some points it's realistic, there's drama, comedy, good animation, it's smart; the plot is kind of messy though.

• David

Croupier: Clive Owen's breakthrough film, from the director of the original Get Carter. A noir-infused tale of gambling and crime. Owen perfectly plays the detached, cool, maybe-dangerous protagonist, an aspiring writer and skilled croupier. Was a critical success upon its release in America a decade ago, but deserves even more attention.

The Last Wave: Peter Weir's less heralded, but almost as effective follow-up to Picnic at Hanging Rock. Stars Richard Chamberlain as a white lawyer assigned to defend natives suspected of murder. He begins to explore the Aboriginal way of life, including the concept of dreamtime, and has frightening, apocalyptic dreams. Weir has said the core question of this creepy, slow-burning thriller is, “What if someone with a very pragmatic approach to life experienced a premonition?”

Young Adam: A subtle, very atmospheric suspense/mystery film set in '50s Scotland. Stars Ewan McGregor, Tilda Swinton, Peter Mullan, and Emily Mortimer. McGregor plays a drifter, Joe, with a sinister past. Mullan and Swinton are the bored married couple whose barge Joe finds employment on. Terrific, understated acting from the four principal stars, a deliberate and effective pace, and a dark, dreamy score (& songs) by David Byrne of Talking Heads. Builds to an UNFORGETTABLE conclusion, at least in my opinion.

- "In Bruges": Nominated for an Oscar (Best Original Screenplay) back in 2008, but it really isn't discussed much, which is a -shame-. It's probably one of the best written movies I've -ever- scene. McDonagh is a dark genius. And this is probably the best role Ralph Fiennes has had since Amon Goeth in "Schindler's List."

- "Solaris": I finally got around to watching this remake just a few days ago, and I -loved- it. Directed by Soderbergh, and starring George Clooney. Very eerie and suspenseful, with a similar feel to "Moon" and (I suspect) "2001: A Space Odyssey" with a little "Sunshine" thrown in.

- "Manic": Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays a rage-filled and troubled teen who is sent to a juvenile psych ward after nearly killing another student. Very good performances from JGL, Zooey Deschanel, and Don Cheadle.

- "Brideshead Revisited": With a cast like Matthew Goode, Ben Whishaw, and Emma Thompson, it must be good. And it really is. A beautiful film with great performances and based on the novel by Evelyn Waugh.

And I will second "Match Point" and "Candy" (Requiem for a Dream-lite) in particular.

Check out this list:

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/aintnobodys.htm

These are so underrated, I've only seen about five or six of them: and I'm a HUGE movie guy. It's a pretty crazy list.

Also, check out the '1000 Greatest Films' list if you're looking for recommendations: it's the best list I've ever seen, although I think "Rififi" definitely got shafted somewhere.

Source(s): They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? (www.theyshootpictures.com)

Gomorrah ( streaming on netflix) great film about the mafia in naples sicily. Intertwining stories. Very gritty n well done.

- candy- ( heath ledger) drama about a couple addicted to heroin. Very sad n disturbing but pretty good

- that championship season- group of guys reunite to celebrate the aniversary of their high school basketball season. Great cast. Turns very ugly sad though. Directed by paul sorvino.

- match point- love. Obsession. Betrayal. Murder. Directed by woody allen. Great film

- the promotion- john c reilly n sean william scott. Dry humor. Very funny. Both are aiming for a managers position at a supermarket

Source(s): @ GARY - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AqrQT... @ metal- i was wondering what was going on there. Busted the trivia out on us.

First off: Mad Dog and Glory, right?

Second:

Streets of Fire- just plain awesome, a misunderstood Walter Hill gem

Day of the Dead (1985)- How come this only has a 79% on rotten tomatoes?

Runaway Train- while watching Unstoppable, reminded me of this

Let Me In- was I the only one who saw this one?

these are the ones on top of my head right now so...

Source(s): The movie part of my brain