qd asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

Can goldfish live in unconditioned tap water?

I got a tiny goldfish about a week ago. Yesterday, I got a new tank for it that included a water conditioner and fish flakes. My dad says that I don't need to use the conditioner, otherwise it'll harm the fish. I'm scared that it'll die soon if I don't use the conditioner. Does anyone know if they can live in tap water without it?

Favorite Answer

It totally depends on where you live and the quality of your tap water. Some people cannot get by without a water conditioner because they have bad and heavily treated source water (high in toxins, chemicals, etc). These people gasp at the idea of not using water conditioner, as they should, because the high levels of chlorine or chloramine will damage fish gills and can literally kill your entire tank.

Others, most likely those who say yes, have high quality source water with low ammonia, low nitrates, low metal content, little to no chlorine (some places the chlorine evaporates before the water even hits the tank there is so little) and NO chloramine in the water.

So if your tap water is of the latter, it can be done, but if you are not sure, use the water conditioner. It makes the water safe for fish, and really is safest to use no matter what.

We only drink water, fish live and breath in the water. Just because something is safe to drink doesn't mean it is safe to support life in it. For example, we can tolerate very low or high pH in our water, but fish living in the water might have adverse impacts to that pH as it impedes gill function or some other adverse impact.

• Sandra

Ok ill tell you my whole serup because i think it will help you. I have a 30 gallon tank with 6 fish 1 common goldfish 1 pleco 2 bala sharks 2 platies. They have plants they can hid in and everything. The tank has been setup for 6 months. The goldfish is 6-8 inch but has been getting long recently. Pleco is 6-7 platies full grown balas 3 inchs. I have a aquateck 20-40 filter aqua culture air pump and heater i can think of the name of. Temp is about 78degrees. My water is streight from the tap i do a water change and pour it right in i have de clorinator but hardly use it. I have no problem with the tank and the fish are happy. Hope this helps!

no.. i cant beleve some idiots said yes! the chrorine will burn their gills beond repair, not to mention the damage from the other chemicals as well. it will die, plus if it needs a large, filtered tank, ten gallons per fish for fancy goldfish (squat bodys, split tails, weired eyes, etc ( any of these traits will likeley mean its a fancy)), and fifty gallons as a base tank with 20 gallons extra per fish if it is a plain goldfish(no fancy traits), anything smaller will cause deadly stunting! if YOU cannot give it what it needs, give the fish to someone who can. also, the food should be specifically for goldfish, or it might not have the right neutrients it needs. also, some locals have non- clorinated tap water, but areas with this are rare, and people may also be using filtered water from a device (eg, brita frilter) without knowing it.

Source(s): knolegeable and longetime pet owner.

Tap water has chlorine in it which burns the fishes gills, eyes, even scales. It does evaporate after 24 hours or so, but it is still not healthy. Many counties tap water also has chloramine in it now, and that does not evaporate. Many peoples water also as heavy metals in it that are bad for fish. So, I would just sneak it in ASAP if you haven't done it yet.

I had 3 feeder goldfish and put them in a 25gallon with unconditioned tap water and w/in maybe 15 min all 3 of them were dead. I have never not treated my tap water since... so I guess just give it a try.

• ?

Yes I have kept my goldfish more than 6 years without conditioned water.

Depends what's in YOUR tap water. They can live fine in MINE, without conditioner, but if yours has been treated with Chloramine then it will probably kill them.

If in doubt, use conditioner.

Years ago they never used Chloramine, so you didn't actually need conditioner as plain chlorine evaporates quickly. The chloramine stays in the water much longer, so it's better at killing germs, and fish.

Ian

I actually still dont condition the water for my goldfish i have had them for over 3 years now in a huge tank, and they are fine, BUT i do condition the water for my tropical fish as they are more sensitive to water.

depends on the tap water.

if you've got tap water with a high chlorine content, it's kinda bad for the fishies. also, some heavy metals will do it too.

but if the fish is doing fine, it will produce it's own natural slime coating that keeps it safe.

they can live in tap water but better be safe and have conditioner