Current Events Poll: Why can we not settle on one spelling for Libya's dictator?

Khadafy, Quadaffi, .....? I've seen several different spellings, though I notice just now that the BBC, Al Jazeera, and Ana Nova all spell it Gaddafi. CNN, on the other hand, spells it Gadhafi. I've noticed it occasionally with other Arabic names, but this case seems especially bad. What is it... show more Khadafy, Quadaffi, .....? I've seen several different spellings, though I notice just now that the BBC, Al Jazeera, and Ana Nova all spell it Gaddafi.

CNN, on the other hand, spells it Gadhafi.

I've noticed it occasionally with other Arabic names, but this case seems especially bad. What is it about the translation or whatever that makes it so difficult to know how to spell this nutball's name in English?

Thanks.
Update: It probably should be in a different category, but after five years here (as of this coming Monday), I have learned if you want responses, post in P&S.