Current Events Poll: Why can we not settle on one spelling for Libya's dictator?

Khadafy, Quadaffi, .....? I've seen several different spellings, though I notice just now that the BBC, Al Jazeera, and Ana Nova all spell it Gaddafi.

CNN, on the other hand, spells it Gadhafi.

I've noticed it occasionally with other Arabic names, but this case seems especially bad. What is it about the translation or whatever that makes it so difficult to know how to spell this nutball's name in English?

Thanks.

It probably should be in a different category, but after five years here (as of this coming Monday), I have learned if you want responses, post in P&S.

• Cami
    Best Answer

I say they should just call him "Bob" and be done with it, no offense to all those other "Bob's" out there.

Allow me to take you out for dinner and drinks at the P&S Bar and Grill to celebrate your 5 years in P&S.

**puts a touch of make up on, hops in the car and heads over to pick you up**

I noticed the Gadhafi change, too. I always wonder what my name would end up being in languages that use different alphabets. It does seem to happen to the Arabic names the most though. Remember Usama bin-Laden?

I can't answer, but I also noticed that several years ago when the whack job was in the news.

I have even seen his first name spelled differently.

I always thought it was Kadolphi. I had a stuffed animal dolphin when I was a kid, named it Colonel Kadolphi.

• Buck

That reminds me of the Peking-Beijing thing.

• The6ix

you sure this shouldn't be in another category?