What should you take into consideration when buying a blu-ray player?

So i've just bought a 50inch HD LG TV, and I now want to buy a blu ray player.

I know nothing about them, so can anybody recommend any to me? Or tell me what I should take into consideration before buying one. I don't want to pay anything above £150.

Thanks

Update:

I'm not fussed about being able to go onto the internet on it, or anything.

I just want it for playing bluray dvds, at a good quality. Thats all =]

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Robert
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

If you are not interested in using internet features, then all you really need to worry with is play-back. While Blu Ray play-back is fairly comparable from one brand Blu Ray player to the next, the same can't be said for DVD play-back.

Yes, DVDs can be played on Blu Ray players, but the quality will vary from player to player. Most (but not all) Blu Ray players have up-scaling for DVDs. This means that the player will actually attempt to make the image a higher definition (usually 720). The problem is that some players don't do a very good job up-scaling DVDs, especially the cheaper ones. Some of them actually give you a worse image.

LG makes a nice up-scaling Blu Ray player for around $125. It's the LG BD550.

• Lance
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I would look into players that have more features possible to future proof your purchase, you may not want to get on the Internet now or do 3D but you might sometime in the future...also players that have more features as a general rule also do other things better, as they have more memory and higher grade processors...other things to look at are how fast does it start cheaper players with less memory are slow to start some cheap players will take up to two minutes to start, the amount of memory also effects how good it is at correction and weather it skips or fails to play a DVD or Blu ray or stops right in the middle of the movie...something else to look at is color rendition not all blu ray players will play with the same rendition sharpness and the quality of the color some are better than others..also if you have a lot of DVD disks the ability of the player to upscale and produce a quality picture from the DVD format some Blu rays are better at this than others....

• 9 years ago

The best advice I can give you is LISTEN to people who own a Blu Ray Player already and the best way to do that is read the reviews for each model and this is real easy as Amazon UK shows you the bestselling Blu Ray Players and also you can click and read hundreds of reviews from people who actually own the blu ray player. This has got to be the best way to see which is the best one to buy. I added a link below to show you the search I did for you and all the reviews are there for multiple Blu Ray Player within your specified budget.

• 9 years ago

Depends what you want to use it for. Blu-ray players now have different functions. Some have built-in wifi to stream movies, watch youtube, pandora, etc. Others have the same features but need to be hard-wired to a modem. Some are 3D ready now. Others just play blu-ray movies only which will be the cheapest. Brands I would recommend are LG, Panasonic, Toshiba, and Sony

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Buy a brand name like Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic, LG and so on.

If you will be streaming movies or renting movies, make sure the blu ray will connect to the internet. It should have an ethernet port if your going that way, If you want to go wireless, the antenna will cost you around $70 more. ( The blu ray will have apps. loaded when you buy it. Check which ones are loaded, not all blu rays have the same apps.)

You can read some reviews on http://www.cnet.com and prices at http://www.nextag.com

• 9 years ago

Panasonic is the most reliable brand of blu ray disc player in the market today. I own a first generation player from Panasonic model BD-10 and it is over 4 years old. I have played over 300 movies (blu ray) on it and not one problems. When AVATAR first came out many players had problems until they had the firmware update, while my Panasonic did not have any problems. Hope this will help you out.

• 9 years ago

if u bought the lg tv thats the brand of blu-ray player that i would get

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.