Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPainting · 9 years ago

Information about oil paints?

I have always used Acrylic paints, and I rather like them. However, I was beginning to wonder what advantages oil paints have over Acrylic, and whether they are in any way 'better'. I already understand that oil paints take far longer to dry, and that you should have more oil in each layer of paint than the previous layer in order to avoid cracking as it dries, but I really wanted to know, what exactly can be achieved with oil paints that can't be with Acrylic (or at least, achieved as well as with oil). Would you recommend giving oil paints a try?

• EmJay
    Favorite Answer

Oil paints are slower drying than other forms of paint but if you use thin layers and good solvent (like turpentine), the drying process is accelerated (from few hours to a few days). Some artists may find this slow-drying property bothersome or inopportune but this characteristic makes it possible to work in several sessions without fear the paint may dry up too early.

Oil paints create luminous colors that are hard wearing.

Oil paints are excellent for blending with surrounding paint. When blended on canvas/a painting surface, oil paints are capable of creating artistic brush strokes and blends that are not possible with other forms of paint. For some artists, however, it is also possible to accidentally blend colors that were not meant to be blended.

The oil techniques are often pretty complicated and require a lot of practice and instruction (including the preparation steps). Additionally, oil paints tend to be more expensive. It can cost a lot if you are a beginner and make a lot of mistakes and have to end up throwing a lot of paint/ings away. Of course, this depends on the amount of color you use when you paint or how much you throw. Personally, I never used them on layers too thick and I still have more than 5 years old paint tubes.

Conclusions:

I consider oil paints to be an essential type of art media. My 2 issues are the typical smell which require a good ventilation and the handling of some poisonous pigments.

Each technique it's a personal choice, also - how confident you are in your skills and how much time would you spend around your painting.

since oil takes much longer to dry, you can sculpt it very well. so your gradients, if you really work with them, will come out very smooth. that is why many oil paintings have a very realistic quality. it takes alot of patients and practice to achieve this so working with one painting for a month or so while doing acrylic during drying periods is the best bet. also be aware that it is dangerous to wipe off oil paints from brushes on your skin or clothing because over the Years it can cause cancer or tumors or other damage. also use a well ventilated area due to the chemicals in the paint and the turpentine.

• Art

I had used only acrylics for years. But once I tried oil paints I never went back acrylics. I recommend you try them. They are very different. You will have to adjust your techniques as it is quite different from work with acrylics. The whole look of the paint is different too.

http://www.jacobbrest.com

• Ren

From personal experience with oil paints I have to say that I am not a huge fan. I like Acrylic because I can add as much water to it to create a watercolor effect and you can use Acrylic on pretty much any surface. Oil paints not so much, you would only stick with canvas.

• kearns

with the aid of fact oil takes lots longer to dry, you will sculpt it very sturdy. so your gradients, once you particularly artwork with them, will come out very comfortable. this is why many oil artwork artwork have an excessively sensible intense-high quality. it takes alot of victims and prepare to receive this so working with one portray for a month or so mutually as doing acrylic for the period of drying intervals is the friendly wager. additionally be conscious that this is dangerous to wipe off oil paints from brushes on your pores and skin or apparel pondering the reality that via the years it is going to in all probability reason cancer or tumors or diverse harm. additionally use a sturdy ventilated field as a consequence of the chemicals interior the paint and the turpentine.

Oil paint is a type of slow-drying paint that consists of particles of pigment suspended in a drying oil, commonly linseed oil. The viscosity of the paint may be modified by the addition of a solvent such as turpentine or white spirit, and varnish may be added to increase the glossiness of the dried oil paint film. Oil paints have been used in Europe since the 12th century for simple decoration, but were not widely adopted as an artistic medium . Common modern applications of oil paint are in finishing and protection of wood in buildings and exposed metal structures such as ships and bridges. Its hard-wearing properties and luminous colors make it desirable for both interior and exterior use on wood and metal. Due to its slow-drying properties, it has recently been used in paint-on-glass animation. Thickness of coat has considerable bearing on time required for drying: thin coats of oil paint dry relatively quickly.