Is it possible to live in a tent in the woods? What about a tarp?

Is it possible for a homeless person to set up a tent in the woods to live, without getting caught.? The woods are within a city and public property. What if the person glues the tent with leaves and stuff so nobody can easily spot it?

If not a tent, could a person just keep a sleeping bag in a tarp and live in that?

Not in Hawaii. I'm wondering because this one teenager called "The Barefoot Bandit" lived on the run for 2 years, living in the woods in Washington.

Favorite Answer

Yes, it's technically possible. The homeless do it all the time. There is a bridge in the city near me that's famous for it's hobo camp underneath.

It is illegal though

• Jim

the Barefoot Bandit lived near here where I live and I followed it in the paper, on TV and in magazines. He really didn't live in the woods, that is a myth that developed around him. He broke into unoccupied cabins and stole food to survive. For quite a long time when people thought he was living in the woods he was in Seattle living with friends in an apartment. There are people who live illegally in the woods, even in the National Park near here. Sometimes backpackers see evidence and report it and they are flushed out. However, it is certainly possible as long as you can steal or purchase food. You probably can't live off the land unless you grew up doing so.

Tarp? A tarp is just okay. It doesn't keep out the bugs and mice. A tarp is problematic when the wind blows especially if it is raining or snowing. You just don't get as much protection from a tarp. Having said that, I used a tarp backpacking and found when I got experienced setting it up that it worked well enough in the conditions we encountered in the mountains.

Certainly it would be possible. It's all history now, but there were Japanese veterans who hid out for years in the aftermath of World War II in the jungles of Southeast Asia who went undetected.

Whether they would be found would depend upon the frequency to which an area was visited and how massive it was. I cross a bridge over a railrod near where I live and have seen the remains of where people have been, but have only seen one person over the last several years. There is a sufficient folige around the bridge site to conceal someone quite well.

It is possible to live in a tent for months at a time as I do it all the time when I go camping in Colorado.

I have stayed as long as 2 months in a single area and never seen a soul there.

Rules are that you have to move your campsite every 14 days while camping in National Forest.

As for doing this in the city you will get caught for sure.

• chris

Yes it's possible, many areas towns cities are adjacent to public lands such as national forests. Many not all, of these areas allow dispersed camping for up to 15 days in one location within a 15 mile radius as long as you abide by forest regs. I don't recommend it as there are plenty of other options to fight homelessness. There are shelter programs in every big city along with what churches are doing. So look into those first.

• Karle

its illegal everywhere even in hawaii.....would fall under public nuisance or trespassing or some other stature...

yes its possible to do......as for getting caught part i would think u would....since eventually someone would notice u and report u......but i guess it would be possible in a larger park if u were away from the tails and such....

Source(s): have seen a few homeless ppl over the years living in tents around my town....usually they are "moved along" from one location to another by police...and eventually leave the area....some have done it for longer than 2 years....... ** tho in every situation it was mental health issue or drug use that kept them from having a place to stay.......

absolutely !!!!!

just takes know- how

You can in Hawaii, it's not illegal.