Ways to refine a research my dissertation question?

In what ways could it be argued that the invasion and subsequent war in Iraq violated both International Criminal Law and International Humanitarian Law?

Is this question a good research question or is there ways that it could be refined to make it easier and more manageable for my dissertation.

Any suggestions welcome and thank you for your replies if there is any.

• Ciph
    Favorite Answer

Don't know if this helps, but look at the Northstar company hired by Bush Adm to audit the Coalition Provisional Government of Iraq in 2004. A husband and wife operating a home-business given a huge Iraq contract which called for CPAs, neither was an accountant, they had no staff or office, and there was no legal tendering process for the contract or competing bids. (Senator Henry Waxman's words, BBC Doco "Daylight Robbery") Their main income before hand - designing kitchens. I kid you not.

(second link) "UN Security Council Resolution 1483 (see May 22, 2003) required that the management of Iraq’s funds be “audited by independent public accountants approved by the International Advisory and Monitoring Board of the Development Fund for Iraq.” Similarly, the CPA’s Regulation Number 2 (see June 10, 2003) stated that it had to “obtain the services of an independent, certified public accounting firm.” Instead, the CPA hired North Star Consultants, Inc. (see October 2003), an obscure consulting firm"

Is breaching a UN Security Council Resolution considered a bad thing?

Try and read this book...

The three trillion dollar war, by Joseph Stiglitz & Linda Bilmes. (Former Pulitzer prize winning economists)

I read it recently, and it will give you a great deal of insight into the illegality of the war. A great deal of economic analysis, but also mentions various claims and quotes made by the leaders that turned out to be rubbish and propaganda only.

I've never done a dissertation, so can't really know whether you have worded the topic well, or suggest improvements. It seems a big thing to be discussing- be sure to use evidence of speeches made by the Bush/ Blair administrations, dates, quotes etc, and then the corresponding facts that were subsequently revealed.

Good luck.

The only thing I'd do is change it to a neutral question instead of one that assumes a particular conclusion. "Was the invasion and subsequent war in Iraq....." Basically, your question says "Is there any way to prove what I think is right?"

Do your dissertation entirely on Twitter, entitle it:

R U Rdy 2 lol