promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What concerns if any do you have about the Wisconsin action on public unions?

Also, why did the Governor exempt the firefighters and allow them to continue their collective bargaining?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • justa
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If its seen that the unions can be broken then we will be in for a period where we will find out why they were necessary. Businesses have already cut benefits and increased hours. Unions have already increased the amounts they pay into pensions and benefits, given wage concessions, agreed to double breasting, where new employees are paid less for several years, than longer members.

The governor also two weeks ago gave more tax breaks to business and this week is scheduled to give another tax break to farmers. So obviously its more important to him to break the union than balance the budget.

Anyone who thinks that he will stop at the teachers union is on crack. If he is allowed to break one union, next year it will be the rest of the unions. End result? Teachers have college degrees they can take to other industries, the only people left teaching with be those that can't get a better job.

Firefighters and police don't usually have college degrees, those that do will get out, those that stay, will again be those without much choice. And that will build resentment. While in general they will do what they have always done, having to lay out for the health care plans when they are in the hospital with a work related injury may just make them hesitate that fraction of a moment that could cost someone their life.

Bringing the workforce down to the lowest common denominator isn't a great way to go. Why would someone want the hassle of working for the government without the benefits?

John do you really think these white, middle -class teachers are thugs?

They certainly never saw themselves that way until the governor told them so.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • John E
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

None.

The firefighters are in a different class of workers, gee, you think the difference might be

RISKING THEIR LIVES?

Yeah, risks / benefits. When unions clearly act against the needs of the population they serve, it is time to dissolve them. And for all who ask about a 'temporary suspension of collective bargaining', these Union thugs have no problem making negotiations last years, while the problem multiplies in the background. Temporary will not work.

• 9 years ago

It is union busting and it won't stop with the teachers and general municipal employees.

The police, fire, and state police unions were exempt because they supported the governor during his campaign.

But their days are numbered too, if he gets his way now.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

No concerns at all. I'd like to see public unions abolished.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • naseef
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

My undertaking isn't plenty with deepest marketplace unions, yet with government unions. i think of that each and every person government workers would desire to be decrease than comparable political campaign regulations by using fact the armed forces. i've got not got a undertaking plenty with bargaining, yet I do have a undertaking with government workers donating thousands and thousands of greenbacks to a politician. the armed forces are government workers and specifically limited in how we are able to take part in an election by using fact of impact in government. the comparable would desire to be genuine around the board. lower back, having a union that gives you for criminal subject concerns is one element for government workers, while they grow to be a political lobbyist, it particularly is the place I also have a undertaking with them. deepest sector union participation in a campaign is not any distinctive then an enterprise partaking.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

My concern is that it took this long to do, and isn't happening in more states.

• 9 years ago

no concerns. -... ....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.