How do I Re-Install Steam Games?

I (Legally) Downloaded and payed for 'The Ship: Complete Pack' which is a steam game. It did not install correctly at first, how do i reinstall it?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I know two ways.

The first method involves making a copy of the game. It's easier but slower if the game takes much space. The other one does not make any copies, but it's a little bit more complicated because you need to know which files belong to the game.

--- Easy and a bit slow (depending on the size of the game) ---

Open Steam.

Right-click on the game and choose Backup Game Files. At the end, open the backup folder.

Right click on the game (again) and choose Delete Local Content. The game will be uninstalled.

Now, in the backup folder, find the game's folder and steambackup somewhere inside any sub-folders.. If you run it, you restore/reinstall the game.

If any game file are broken, Steam can re-download them. To do this, right-click on the game and go to Properties > Local files. Then verify integrity of game cache.

-- Less easy, and much faster ---

Exit Steam.

Open your steamapps folder where you installed Steam (usually in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam" or something similar). Find any files related to the game and move them somewhere else (maybe create a new folder called "backup"). Then do the same under steamapps\common (this is where the game is installed) (or just rename it).

Then, delete the game files inside Steam (Delete Local Content). Start downloading the game, then pause it. Exit Steam.

Now, move the files/folder you moved/renamed earlier back (delete existing files or replace them).

Start Steam. Right-click on the game, then go to Properties > Local files. Then verify integrity of game cache.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.