Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 9 years ago

"I need to hear back from computer experts. I am female. Need to buy anti virus and spy ware . >See Below>?

I am female 46. Know very little about computers. I have been use to down loading anti virus AVG or trials for Panda Pro.. which I liked and worked best. A computer wizz expert on the radio reccomended to purchase panda pro. I tried to down load (free) anti spy ware.. to only have it later mal function due to viruses or spyware already in the program. I am set on purchasing both from now on. Okay.. Then.. I will have to bring them with me and bring the Computer and USB Wand And Windows 7 Along with Say Panda Pro And One or two (?) Purchased anti spyware soft ware discs to the computer shop to secure and set up my computer for extreme safety. I am a writer and I can't have my work compromised by hackers. Also facebook has in the past had hackers creep in . I once opened my page and under my own sign on.. was another person... once on my facebook. I did a re install myself. I know how to. I re installed my drivers etc. However.. I still don't feel safe. Especially with the browsers. I have had both Fire Fox.. and Explore the new one. Both have had spyware attached and gave my computer major freezing and double boxes etc. I don't go do things on line that would cause me problems except for these so called free programs.. and browsers.

I need someone to tell me how much this is all going to cost me to buy and for the computer repair shop. I will need to save up first. Hit Me! Thanks

Favorite Answer

If you want to go the paid route buy the best. Get Kaspersky. Kaspersky is the best on the market today. But you sound like you already have a huge problem. Sounds to me like you are already infected. Here are some things you need to know. If you are going to be doing work on your computer that is sensitive to you, You gotta play it smart. Here is what I would do.

I would reload the operating system. Do a full destructive reformat. That will clean it out completely and reset it to factory spec. If you have anything on it now that you don't want deleted get some memory sticks and transfer whatever you don't want erased to the sticks. Then reformat. Once reformatted get Kaspersky Internet Security. Let it update. Get all the patches and fixes from Microsoft update. Now you are ready to plug back in to the USB the memory stick you used to move everything you don't want deleted. Scan it with Kaspersky. If Kaspersky finds anything it will deal with it. Leave everything on the memory sticks.

That way you are less likely to get infected again and if you do you will not lose everything. You have it saved on a memory stick. And please do not listen to these free pushers. If you are working with something that you don't want compromised, Don't use free. Especially AVG. People who push AVG have no idea what they are talking about. You just can't get much sorrier than AVG. Avast comes in a close second to AVG in Sorriness. Not one of these free AV's would i trust with sensitive data.

I can't help you with your actual question, but thought I would throw this in. I have used the free AVG and free Adaware for 5 years. Never had a problem. I am running everything through a router, and I guess that helps a lot. Also, I am pretty careful about what I download. Also, I don't go to social sites. Maybe that is the difference.

Good luck.

Download either Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials. Both are free, choose one.

http://www.avast.com

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Install a HOSTS file:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Use strong passwords. Long, mixed upper and lower case, use numbers.

Don't go to a computer shop. They give poor advice, especially in security matters. The reason they work at local shops is that they are not qualified for anything better. There is nothing wrong with free software.

FaceBook is a different matter. You cannot control the security there, and it is extremely poor. Strong passwords and restricting your privacy options is the best you can do.

*If* you need further help, there are various online resources I can point you to, including a free help desk a friend of mine runs. He specializes in malware removals and desktop security.

You really feel that you can't trust a anti-virus (which includes anti-spyware) from Microsoft...the makers of Windows and whose CEO is Bill Gates the richest man in the world? And he did not get to be the richest by including "viruses or spyware already in the program".

Microsoft Security Essentials:

Oh yeah, the cost to buy Microsoft Security Essentials.....FREE. Bill Gates has enough money, he's giving it away!

I'm in complete agreement with Michael R. i also have used AVG since ever first switching my computer on and as far as i know i have never had a problem, also they give you a free update at regular intervals.