Landrover freelander problems?

Hi all well you may think us fools after you read this but this was our first car we bought. anyway here we go.. 10 days ago we bought a landrover freelander, it cost us 1,800. it had been thru its MOT a week previous to us buying it and passed no probs...it had a full service 2 weeks previous to us buying it as... show more Hi all
well you may think us fools after you read this but this was our first car we bought. anyway here we go..
10 days ago we bought a landrover freelander, it cost us 1,800.
it had been thru its MOT a week previous to us buying it and passed no probs...it had a full service 2 weeks previous to us buying it as well...
the guy we bought it off of had advertised it on ebay so we went to collect it everything seemed fine, i filled out the new owners portion but noticed it wasnt his name on the owners bit - but said this was normal as he had put his name on the keepers section of the V5...having never bought a car i just said ok.

so anyway here we are 10 days later and the car has been making awful noises and smoke billowing out of the exhaust, its undrivable and we're having to get a mechanic, we think the rear differential has gone, but that doesnt explain the smoke from the exhaust??

we contacted the bloke who sold it to us and he said sorry its sold as seen (never said this in ad) and he refuses to give us a refund or pay! which i think is outrageous...

another thing we noticed when we bought it is the left passengers mirror was cracked, so surely that wouldnt pass MOT?!

then we found out on the MOT certificate he was the MOT tester, as he works at a garage..

and on the keepers portion on the V5 hes put his name and address when its supposed to be ours.

turns out he didnt register the vehicle in his name at DVLA.

i need advice please, do we have any legs to stand on or are we screwed?!

Thank you!!!!
8 answers 8