Does it matter if you leave a moped/scooter on side stand instead of centre stand?

Hey. I own a 50cc Moped/scooter and I have trouble getting it onto the centre stand. Does it really matter if I put it on the side stand until I get the hang of putting it on the centre stand, thanks.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • b0b
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

Not at all if the stand is sound and the slope of your parking on the road camber is stable.

But don' run the engine for more than a second or two like that - a few motors are sensitive to the oil sloshing over to one side, specially when starting up and if the oil is a shade low. Get on first, upright, before you fire up, in case your motor is one like that. Wouldn't affect a two stroke of course, only four strokers with an oil pick up.

However, the real problem; a 50cc scoot should be a one handed job to put on her stand. Hold left bar grip with left hand, hold rack or under saddle or if theres nowt else, the saddle strap, using your right hand, leaning slightly over the bike. Put your right hoof onto the prong of the main stand, push down and check by rocking bike slightly that both feet of the stand are on the ground, held by your foot against the retract spring pull. Lean smartly back to the right using mostly your right hand - the left on the bars is to stop her steering abruptly one way or the other - keep the wheels straight in line and keep your pull fairly straight line backwards. Keep a really good push down on the stand prong, it should help the scoot raise back up if it is designed well (some of course, aren't!)

By the by, as with a horse, always get on and off, wheel the bike and put on stands from the left, unless you like doing stunts!!!

Very good luck with it - also practise with the same grip wheeling the scoot along backwards and forwards, get used to manouevering in tight spots, all adds confidence. Keep your right hip against saddle if you need to, when wheeling, for confidence

• 9 years ago

It does not matter one little bit. That's what the sidestand is for.

The centre stand is mainly for rear wheel maintenance.

You will have to work on your technique for putting the bike on the centre stand. It's only a moped which weighs about as much as feather so you are doing something wrong. Instead of trying to lift the bike onto the stand, push down with your foot. It makes it a lot easier.

• 9 years ago

More likely to fall off the side stand if it is knocked or on a hill or slope. Unless you are a total weed it should be easy to put on the centre stand if you use the correct method. I can do it with a motorbike that weighs twice what I do and it is a matter of technique not strength.

• 9 years ago

No it only matters to you. But they are handy when you need to change a tire or oil the chain or just need to do some maintenance on the bike.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Unless it's really windy, or some knobhead pushes it over the side stand is fine mate.

• 9 years ago

it doesn't matter, the center stand is just more stable.

• 9 years ago

yes it matters...it is better to leave on center stand. dnt exactly know the reason bt it is always mentioned it a two wheelers guide book. :):):)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.