Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 9 years ago

My SO & Son keep sharing the same virus..help?

My 18 month old got a stomach virus on Thursday & yesterday morning the SO caught the same virus. The doctor wouldn't do anything for either one of them & I'm afraid there just going to keep giving it to eachother back & fourth. What can I do?

• Diet C
    Favorite Answer

There's little to nothing the doctor can do for a virus....

Exposure to a virus typically means immunity, they won't pass it back and forth.

Antibiotics aren't effective against viruses. They work against bacteria, some parasites, and some fungal infections, but not viruses.

Treating a virus with an antibiotic would do more harm than good (contributing to antibiotic resistance).

I know it sucks,but your Doc is right.The best thing you can do is to let it run its course.By now they have both built up an immunity to the virus so they will not keep spreading it among each other.However,I would be concerned about you or others catching this virus.

Try and keep them in one area and keep it disinfected with bleach cleaner/lysol.This will help keep down the germs and keep them from spreading to other areas of the house.

Make sure to change sheets and buy new tooth brushes after.

Wash hands....EVERYBODY!This is the #1 way to stop the spread of a virus /infection.

Extra vit.c is a good idea to boost immunity if they can stomach it.Probiotics are GREAT!

I have a capsule kind that I and the kids take during flu season.They help tremendously.

Yogurt contains these good probiotics as well,but as I said it really depends on if they can stomach it or not.I would go for the pills.They will help this time and for the rest of the flu season for the whole family.Good luck and I hope they feel well soon:)

Oh and keep hydrated as much as possible.

BRAT diet can help upset tummy-bananas,rice,apples and toast.

• ?

They won't keep passing it back and forth, because they will have both developed the antibodies to be immune from it from the first exposure.

Don't worry. Just keep them hydrated and ride it out.

Source(s): Science
  • Alley

Once you have a virus you can't get it again. Your body builds up antibodies to it.

Once you get a virus, you can't get it again. Your body becomes immune to it. Unless it mutates, they won't pass it back and forth.

Try going to a different doctor. If they have a virus they definitely need to be on antibiotics, especially your son.