Olga
Olga asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 10 years ago

What is with all the gender bashing in this section?

Women asking purposefully leading questions to deface the male of our species. Men asking questions that make it seem like they abhor the female. What is going on here? We're not all mindless, petty, vain pieces of meat. And men aren't all jerks who only want to get in women's skirts or try to oppress us. I really don't understand the spite. What happened to many of you?

I'm not trying to be mean, I really want to know what is going on. I know that not everyone does this, but there does seem to be a trend.

Favorite Answer

It's the internet. If you think this is bad, go check out religion and spirituality. I would say politics, but I wouldn't send my worst enemy there on purpose.

• roh P

It think it is to do with that old fashioned phenomenon that has become cliche but is so true: generalisation.

It applies to other differentiation groups of people too, not just on gender, like race, religion etc.

So if a man or a woman has a bad experience with a member of the opposite sex, he/she assumes that all men/women are like the person with whom they had the bad experience.

Steretyping gender roles and gender conduct is bad enough, but grouping all the possible personalities that can exist in an entire gender into one sweeping negative type, that is plain stupid.

I see it too dude. I don't really like it. There are lots of really amazing and wonderful people out there. And here we are focusing on all the negativity and stereotypes of our sexes/gender. It just isn't right to completely single out a certain experience and apply it to everything or everyone in this world.

Makes me sad. Im only 17, and already this seems to be taking a toll on my progression in society. What am i supposed to think now, going into the world with all these sorts of opinionated comments and stereotypes running through my mind? :/ very confusing if you ask me...

• ?

This is my guess on it. More than half the questions that are misandrist, feminist, etc are troll type questions. They mostly do it to get a rise out of people. But this happens in almost every section on Y! Answers, it isn't just in gender studies. I do think a handful of regulars literally hate the opposite gender for their own reasons, but I'm also guessing even most of them would never say any of the things they say in here in face to face life. I think they were probably treated really badly by the opposite sex more than once, or it is their first time so they come here to vent. I'm sure there are a few select that actually do behave this way in real life as well, but not many. I can't back any of this up of course, because there is no real way of knowing. Insecurity is probably another big factor, along with low self-esteem in face to face life with the opposite sex.

I asked a very similar question last week.

I think it's people who have gained confidence through being behind a computer. None of the men I know and love think anything like the guys on this forum.

They're just being pretty pathetic individuals who want nothing but to cause an argument, and not to use this site properly.

It only takes one bad apple to ruin the barrel full of apples.

Or, put another way, a clever and divisive person can post a few questions that enrage and offend, and that leads to an avalanche of anger which, in turn, leads to the phenomena that you describe.

Source(s): me.

Funny because I asked a similar question months ago. In fact, some of the people who answered here are also on my question.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ah4VV...

But hey, try ask a question that isn't related to gender and I would say you'll be impressed because surprisingly, one of smartest people you'll find on Yahoo Answers! are from this category.

It is a three ring circus here and can often be fun. Stick around awhile, we could use some more blood.

It's just fun!

*bash bash bash*

xD

Source(s): *bash!*