How would I obtain a marriage certificate from Sicily?

My great-grandparents were Sicilian immigrants. I know where in Sicily they lived--Pozzallo, Ragusa, Sicily--and I know approximately when they were born. They would have married some before 1920 (they immigrated in 1920 already married with no children). I searched some military records from this town and found a large number of people with the same last name going back to at least the mid-19th century, so I feel fairly confident that they were both born there, too.

I would like to obtain their marriage certificate and birth/baptismal records, if possible. I don't speak Italian, though, and I don't really know how to go about contacting them or paying them for the service.

Any tips?

Favorite Answer

You would need to contact the parish where the events took place. I would suggest that you check to see if someone in Sicily is doing searches. Google has a transcribed. Also you might be able to obtain the information you are looking for through a program call world vital statistics. which is available at Family History Centers. free. The volunteers at the center might also be able to assist you in your search.

Source(s): Genealogical researcher 35+ years and volunteer consultant at a Family History Center

1

Source(s): Marriage Record Search Database : http://MarriageRecords.zourg.com/?JWh