Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 10 years ago

please answers!!!!!!treating my betta fish for fin rot?

ok, so i had already asked this question, but only 2 people answered. so anyway i am treating my betta fish for mouth fungus and fin rot and i am using something called Fungus Guard, brand name is Jungle. i read the instructions and followed them and it said that i should use 5ml per 10 gallons, but my fish tank is only 2 gallons(just a temporary home, moving him into a 10 gallon in july)so i am using only 1 ml, is that too much or too little? also how long should it be until i see results? thanks in advance? also please include what i can do after he is all cured to prevent him from getting fin rot again.thanks in advance!

Update:

the tank has a filter, but no filter because i live in a tropical place and the temperature is constantly at 78 F and SOMETIMES it gos to 80 F.

Update 2:

oooopppsss...i meant to say no heater.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • That
    Lv 6
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

That dosing amount should be fine. In deviating a bit from the bottle instructions to get his fin/tail rot gone you can treat daily for 3 days. After the 3 day round, reassess him and if needbe do another 3 day round if necessary. You'll need to do a 100% water change each day before adding the med, and need to wait 20 minutes after doing the water change before adding the med-sooner will dilute it.

I really do hope that the temp. of his water is as steady as you say because even small fluctuations eventually wear down their immun system and can bring on illness.

Most illness is brught on by cold water or poor water conditions, so here's a little info. just to make sure all of that's good with him.

1) Heater: I know you say his water is a steady temp. , but in case it would get cold for whatever reason, for a 2 gallon he'd need a 25 watt heater, the 10 gallon would need a 50 watt heater.

2) Water changes: Water changes remove ammonia, which is toxic and forms in the water from uneaten food, waste, and even breathing. Since it's colorless and odorless you can't tell if your water is okay even if it looks clean. Water change frequency depends on the tank size. For uncycled 100% water change tanks of 2 gallons, you need to change the water 3 x's/week. When your 10 gallon is used and cycled later on you'll change 10-15% of the water and vacuum 1/3 of the gravel 1x/wk.

3) A cover: Bettas are great jumpers and a lid or cover is necessary. Whatever you use, it must have holes, as he'll suffocate without being able to breathe from the surface. Cheap suggestions for covers: plastic crafting canvas: (http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalog/ca%E2%80%A6 People use it for cross stitch, it's @ any craft store or big box stores with a craft department. Or drawer grip liner: http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Shelf-Drawer-%E2%80%A6 in any kitchen store or kitchen section of a big box store.

4) Water conditioner: AquaSafe (@ PetSmart, WalMart) and Novaquel & Prime together (@ PetSmart) remove chlorine, chloramines & heavy metals, which is what you need it to do. Remember to add this to the water @ every water change.

Source(s): I'm not an expert but have been rescuing sick, injured, old, handicapped bettas from Wal-Mart, PetSmart, etc. for five years. Because most vets don't do much with fish I had to learn through research and experience. I've gotten pretty good at diagnosing things because I've seen many betta health issues at this point.
  • 10 years ago

1ml should be the correct amount. Check the directions for whether or not you should change the water daily and add 1ml per water change. Often medicines need to be applied daily with a 100% water change so the rot that falls off won't re-infect the fish.

Causes of fin-rot and fungus:

They grow in warm water, where bettas live (they are tropical fish), so there is not much you can do other than change the water WEEKLY if you do not have a filter (the ammonia from their poop is highly toxic and accumulates over time, so change the water often), use a water conditioner to make tap water safe, and pour in a little bit of aquarium salt into the tank (yes, even though bettas are freshwater fish, they can live with a little bit of salt in the water). The salt helps keep fungus at bay. My first two bettas had fin rot at one point in their lives, but did not have it after I started putting salt into their water. Be careful to not put too much salt into it (for 2 gallons, I would sprinkle about a tablespoon of aquarium salt (Do NOT use table salt. You can pick up aquarium salt at an fish store for about $1).

Note: study the fish illnesses, whether they are viral (like lymphocystis), bacterial (like columnaris, fin rot), parasitic (like ick) or fungal (like cotton-like growths). This will help you understand the causes and solutions, and thus figure out ways to prevent illness.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

definitely adding a lil salt (aquarium type) can help stave off some bacteria. it could be stress related, from moving to a new tank. make sure to isolate that fish away from others. go to the pet store and get the tablets that you can drop in and will medicate the entire tank, don't forget to turn of the filter pump. good luck. most fishies with fin rot or the white spots are goners and the best u can do is keep them away from the other fish, and give the tank (and the inside rocks and decorations) a good cleaning (bleach solution).

• 10 years ago

the 1ml should be just fine and it can take a week or two to see a good result from medicating him. They best way to prevent this is to regularily change the water for him if the tank does not have a filter. if this is the case i recommend getting a tank with a filter. good luck

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

1ml sounds perfect

how long until he improves will vary, no one can give you an exact answer.

does he have a filter and heater in the 2gallon?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.