Does U.S allow dual citizenship?

I already have two citizenships but I also want to apply for U.S citizenship

4 Answers

  • rnc312
    Lv 4
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Yes. Dual citizenship for Americans is not illegal nor is multiple citizenship in your case. But if you become a US citizen you must only furnish your US passport when you enter or leave the country.

    “I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen…”

    The opening lines of the Oath of Allegiance are meant to give the United States exclusive sovereignty over the newly naturalized citizen. In other words, you are a citizen of one and only one country, the United States of America. The idea is that as soon as you take the Oath of Allegiance and become an American, you are giving up your citizenship of your native country.

    Naturalized citizens are not legally obligated to give up their citizenship of their native country. The United States has never ordered (as far as we know) any newly naturalized US citizens to present themselves to their native country’s embassy and formally renounce their original citizenship. In the past, the first part of the oath was never a problem because almost all countries took away a person’s citizenship as soon as they became a citizen of another country.

    Legally speaking, however, there is nothing in the Constitution and there are no past rulings from the United States Supreme Court preventing the United States (via the USCIS and the State Department) from requiring all naturalized citizens to officially renounce their original citizenship to their native country as a condition of naturalization.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    I've never heard of tri-citizenship, but it's possible. In my U.S. passport, it explicitly states its legal, although you may not receive U.S. consular protection in other country(-ies) from which you are also a citizen. In addition, you must obtain a U.S. Passport and use that to enter the U.S., even if you have a passport from another country (you can use those passports when not entering the US).

    Other cases which people would have dual citizenship is when two U.S. Citizens give birth abroad, which may make their child a citizen of both the US and the foreign country depending on the laws of the foreign country. So this happens from time to time.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Jimmy
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

    If you qualify for US citizenship you can get it, but you will have to renounce any other citizenship. Most other countries don't recognize this renunciation, so, in practice you can keep the others too.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

    If you have one parent from each country, you are granted dual citizenship. I don't know if you can apply for it.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.