Does the security council hinder the effectiveness of the united nations?

i mean, as soon as 4 nations agree on something, one vetoes and nothing is done, whether the country that veteos be uk, france, china, russia or the USA.should all of the members of the security council be temporary instead of 5 permanent? will that increase the effectiveness of the united nations to tackle global issues?

Update:

guys, what i'm saying is to include as many countries as possible in global decisions, instead of a few countries seeking to satisfy their own interests.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I certainly agree that veto power in SC hinders effectivenesss cause all countries except one could agree on something. It would be better if all veto power countries voted together and one non-veto country voted against. Stilll the UN is better than the system that was put together after WWI.

• Josh
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

It is a hard one because nothing can get done with out the support of those five countries. Even in a majority vote if you left out one or two of these countries it would become far harder and more problematic. They would however have to remain on the council even if they no long had to vote unanimously.

• Teekno
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

No, it wouldn't increase the effectiveness at all.

The reason that those five countries can veto is that without those five powers agreeing, nothing can ever get done in the world anyway.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The U.N. like the league of nations is burden of Democrat country's. As for as for the USA we should get out of it tom marrow. Its none nothing but cost us Billions upon billions, and put us in war [ un win able] after war since 1946

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

The UN should be aboloished. Or, at the very least, sent packing out of the US and we shuld withdraw our membership. They are an anti-American organization that accomplishes NOTHING on the world stage.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The U N is useless. It is as bad as owning a boat. Most boat owners will tell you a boat is a hole you throw money into.

• Curt J
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Since when has the U.N. ever been effective?

Source(s): Just my opinion
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.