How can I see out the front cockpit window to make a VFR Landing?

I notice my 737-800 on the Microsoft Flight Simulator X (and all jets for that matter) seem to fly with the nose up at about 25 degrees, even when I am not climbing. Is this normal? Pressing #s 2 and 8 on my keyboard to change pitch seems to make no difference. I can never see the ground out of the cockpit windshield unless I am practically in a dive. How are you supposed to make a visual approach and landing when you can't see the runway?

Favorite Answer

Its a simple formula: Performance = Attitude + Power

So if you have a 25 degree nose up attitude, this means in order to get the performance you desire you must have high power setting otherwise the plane will stall. Now, if you have a high power setting and high nose attitude but going fairly slow towards a landing, the only reason would be that you have your speed brakes on. Check outside plane view and see if your speed brakes are deployed. Also in your cockpit find the speed brake lever to the left of the throttles and make sure it is not up. Use the "/" key to disengage the brakes.

Next: When you land you need to be in a "landing configuration" that also satisfies the formula above. You need specific landing speed for the aircraft you're flying based on weight also. Basically a 737 would be 145kts - 155 kts at full flaps. Your flaps must be set. The flaps will bring your nose down like in a descending angle. start with Flaps 10 and gradually go all the way to flaps 40. Each flap setting is at a certain speed like from 180kts to your final landing speed at full flaps 145kts-155kts. remember Gear Down when you are at final approach. Control your speed, heading, and angle of descent to stay at the right performance and you should see the best view ahead of you and land nicely. Runway Glideslope lights PAPI will help you determine if you are on the right glideslope angle. Half red, half white ... too many red means too low, too many white means too high.

Good luck

Cheers.

A nose-up pitch angle of 25 degrees is not normal, and you risk a stall in level flight with that attitude. The aircraft may be (massively) overweight, or you may be flying at a dangerously low speed, or you may be flying too high. I don't know of any jet for which this would be an appropriate pitch angle in level flight. A 737 flying at its most economical cruise speed and altitude might have a nose-up pitch of 2-4 degrees, but not 25. At full speed and maximium performance, the pitch angle is around zero, although hardly anyone flies at full speed these days.

• Kenika

The pressure is not greater on the front window, the wind velocity is just increased. Pressure depends on several barometric factors, and wind velocity doesn't affect these factors. For example, on a windy day, the atmospheric pressure doesn't increase. Also, the pressure inside the cabin is greater than that outside the cabin. The main goal of having a "pressurized cabin" is to make the passengers feel as if they are at sea level, because low pressures can be fatal depending on how low they are. If you opened the front window, regardless of the inside or outside pressure, air would surge in, since the plane is moving against the wind. However, if you were to open the side window, the air would flow out. Since the pressure inside is greater than the outside pressure, the air would flow out the window into the sky. The reason that this would happen is because the higher internal pressure would diffuse to the outside, so inside the cabin it would seem as if the air is rushing out.

First of all, get rid of using the keyboard for flight control inputs, and get yourself a control yoke, or at least a joystick. That will make a huge difference. You really should never be above 5 degrees in cruise flight at normal payloads and flight speeds. Maximum nose up pitch under normal conditions is usually around 15-18 degrees on climbout.

i never needed to push buttons 2 or 8 to control the aircraft i was flying.

as a matter of fact, i never had such buttons in the cockpit.

on the other hand, i can read the attitude from attitude indicator to disprove visual illusions of 25 degrees nose up attitude.

and, i look SIDEWAYS 30 degrees OFF the aircraft axis to control the flare

Source(s): helicopter pilot. used to fly Hind. you dont see a SH1T when dumb looking forwards for landing.

I try to look around cockpit and get distracted so I crash into tower. Do not get distract.