Sci-Fi movie from the 70s or 80s about a solar flare?

I am trying to learn more about a movie I remember seeing at least 20 years ago, it's some sort of sci-fi movie from the 70s or 80s. I do not remember the exact title, HOWEVER, for some reason, the name or word "Phoenix" comes to mind as being heavily associated with the movie...either as part of the title, or a name mentioned in the movie.

The basic synopsis, as I remember it, is as follows...some people are on a barren planet, or perhaps the moon, and the planet gets hit by a large solar flare. I only recall a few brief scenes, namely:

-Some kids taking cover beneath some large tanks filled with water. One of them says a line similar to "There's water in here, this should protect us"

-Some people (perhaps scientists?) in a vehicle of some sorts in a dark, desert-like area just before the flare hits

-The same people and vehicle as mentioned above when the flare hits, and it's like there's a whole lot of wind and stuff blowing around

-A computer screen showing the progress of the approaching solar flare. The display looked something like this:

))))))) o

With o being the planet, and the ) symbols showing the progress of the flare. A new ) would appear on the screen every few seconds closer to the planet.

-The computer screen just as the flare hits, an extreme closeup of )))o and at that exact moment, other computer screens begin turning to static.

These memories are quite jumbled and incomplete, but I hope this is enough to help identify this movie. As I said, I have a strong, STRONG feeling that the word "Phoenix" is associated somehow with this movie, either as part of the title or as the name of something (The planet, a city, a person, I don't know) shown or mentioned in the movie. I am fairly certain that it isn't "Maximum Overdrive", because the movie I remember had the "people on another planet in the future" feel to it, whereas "Maximum Overdrive" takes place on present-day Earth.

This has been driving me nuts for years trying to find out more about this movie. Web searches have so far turned up nothing. I would certainly appreciate any help with identifying this movie.

Favorite Answer

Could it have been this movie

Where Have All The People Gone (1974)

A strange series of solar flares proves fatal for inhabitants of the Earth, except for the fortunate few who are somehow immune from the effects. Animals go insane and human beings turn to white powder, leaving behind only empty clothing. A handful of survivors attempt to rebuild their lives on the de-populated Earth.

or the one from the 80's

Night of the Comet (1984)

Two pretty high school girls (one a cheerleader!) don't like their mother or her new boyfriend ("Daddy would have gotten us Uzis!"). One morning, they wake up to find that everybody in Los Angeles has been turned to dust by a Comet except them, a guy who looks like Erik Estrada, some zombies and the occupants of a secret underground government installation.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087799/

• If anybody happens to find this question through a web search or other means, this mystery has been solved. The movie in question is actually called "Plymouth", it's from 1991 and is about a moon base being hit by a solar flare.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I am trying to learn more about a movie I remember seeing at least 20 years ago, it's some sort of sci-fi movie from the 70s or 80s. I do not remember the exact title, HOWEVER, for some reason, the name or word "Phoenix" comes to mind as being heavily associated with the...

Source(s): sci fi movie 70s 80s solar flare: https://shortly.im/z9FBy

Solar Flare Movie

70s Sci Fi Movies

Wierd Science