What do you know of the roots and symbolism of the Star of David?

I had a dream last night about it. All in all the dream had a very good vibe. A very close friend asked me if I remembered what he told me about the Star of David. I said, 'no, not really...can you tell me again?" He said, "every time you see a flash of light, go towards it." In my day to day... show more I had a dream last night about it. All in all the dream had a very good vibe. A very close friend asked me if I remembered what he told me about the Star of David. I said, 'no, not really...can you tell me again?"
He said, "every time you see a flash of light, go towards it." In my day to day routine I am constantly seeing flashes of light...anyways, I have started realizing they are meaningful and whatever it is that I am concentrating on or researching or digging up from within...I need to keep going! Like it is either a message of encouragement or simply love. like it is a wink from the Holy Spirit. So that is what I am thinking that part of the dream meant.
I am curious about the Star of David. I am not so much interested in modern usage, but more like ancient roots and symbolism. Is there anything neat you can tell me about the Star of David...other than what Wikipedia and other common sites have to say?