Investing 25% of my pay in TPS..?

I'm currently 21 and I hope to spend 20 years in the military, so far 1 year is down 19 to go. My question is with all this money I'm investing, will I get to take ALL of it out when I leave the service? Or do I have to wait till age 59 1/2 to take it? I plan on retiring at age 40-41. I am in the Air Force if that makes any difference.

• Jim Z
    Best Answer

If you are buying TPS, you may want to reconsider, (see below You have not said where you are investing this money. If it is in a 401k, or IRA, you have to wait till 59 and one half, without paying a penalty. If it is in a regular brokerage account, you can pull it out at any time. If I may suggest, put some of your money in GLD (gold) or SLV (silver), consider a stock like WMT long term, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Thank you and your family for your service, and sacrafice.,

TPS may be a totally wrong selection. (it would be wrong for my investing) It is an ultra short tips ETF. This type of ETF goes down if inflation increases. It is an ultra, so you would lose money at double the rate as the inflation increases. If you think inflation is going to decrease, and we are going into deflation then TPS is the stock of choice.

TIPS is the ETF you want if you think inflation is going to increase while you are in the service.

Source(s): 30 years of investing