Nicola
Nicola asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 9 years ago

The name Florence for a boy?

PLEASE read my question and hear me out before replying. I don't want rude comments.

My Grandfather's name was Florence and he meant so much to me. Not pronounced in the girly way, but pronounce FLUR-ence... like McFlurry, I guess. I've known two other men named Florence, though they were quite old.

Would it be completely wrong to give this name to a son of mine in the future? I know I could always use it as a middle name, but I really would like to honour my Grandfather.

Thanks for any input- I'm really conflicted on this.

His surname was McCarthy so not really... though his middle name was Anthony which might work. :)

Favorite Answer

I dont see anything wrong with it, its a great way to honor someone that meant a great deal to you. People will pronounce it the girl way though, until he corrects them. The only way I can think of changing that is to spell it differently, but then that defeats the purpose. Maybe you can have it as a middle name? But personally, I dont think it would be bad to name him that =)

Good luck!

I don't want to sound rude but calling a boy Florence even if it is pronounce FLUR-ence is a a death sentence. If you maybe change the spelling to Flurence it might be better but I doubt it. But Anthony Florence is better as if they are embarrassed they don't have to mention their middle name. I'm not saying this will definitely happen but I am saying that it probably will. I am really really really really really really really really really really really sorry.

x

Well, the name florence is not a really nice one, since it's not very common. And when written, it looks more like a girl name. You should take that into account but still if your grandpa meant that much to you, then yes. He was a great man, Im sure. You will like that name but will your son like it? <-- important thing to think about

Hope this helps

xx

I would never think to pronounce it as Flur and not Flor. Its spelled Flor, everyone is going to mispronounce his name for the rest of his entire life. How annoying is that gonna be for him?

Maybe it wasnt an issue with mispronunciation in the old days, because it was a more common name. But today, everyone will say it the girly way.

Plus, your child would be brutally made fun of. I wouldnt want my child to come home crying from school because kids were making fun of him because of a name that I gave him. I would feel so guilty.

Please find a different way to honor your grandfather.

I think you should use it as a middle name. I understand you want to do it in honour of your grandfather, but you must think of your child and in this day and age children aren't too nice..especially once they get to teenagers and high school I think he may get bullied as it is more a femenine name. It could be a nice middle name though :)

Ps- I don't mean it in a horrible way!

No. Not a good idea. He will never forgive you. Florence is veryyyy feminine. Some names are just a little girly but that name is super-girly. Maybe you will have girl one day.

• suire

i like the call Florence<3 this is totally fantastically.... i do no longer basically like the call Miller nonetheless as to me this is basically a final call. i do in contrast to that call at prepared approximately a guy. yet Florence is suited for somewhat female<3 Cara<3

• Girzie

I would hesitate to use this even if it is a family name. Children can be so cruel. Could you maybe use your grandfather's surname in a son's name?

No...no.no.no.no.

Peoples personality tends to develop around their name, I think there have even been studies about it. Florence sounds like a terrible name. I could never imagine anyone in my life named florence. Everyone would call him Flo.

Besides that it doesn't matter how you want it to be pronounced, everyone will pronounce it florence. Teachers, doctors, actually anyone who reads it will pronounce it floor-rence. Think of how many times your name has been called your entire life by someone reading it. He'll spend most of his life having to correct people, "Actually, it's flur-rence" but in reality he'll just not bother and be known as Flo his entire life.

I'd use it as a middle name, or Anthony as a first name :-)