Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What is with all this Avatar bashing on the internet?

WHAT PEOPLE SAY

1. Avatar copied Pocahontas, Fern Gully, Dancing with Wolves.......blah blah blah

I say,

That way Apocalyse Now copied Heart of Darkness

The Godfathers are adapted from books

True Grit is a remake

Every film ever to win best adapted screenplay is a rip-off

Star Wars copied Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress

STUPID REASON #1 NOT TO LIKE AVATAR

2. Poor screenplay

All true James Cameron fans, George Lucas fans and basically most of the science fiction fans just love cheesy dialogue.

"Hasta La Vista, Baby" "Hey buddy, you got a dead cat in there?" "Gameover, ******" "I'll Be Back"

It surely reaches the targeted audience. Syd Field, biggest screenwriting guru in hollywood loves James Cameron's plots (Half of thje people don't know the difference between plot and story).

STUPID REASON #2 FOR NOT LIKING AVATAR

3. 3D is a gimmick.

The 3D was universally praised unlike other 3D crap. Ridley Scott, Soderbergh all have decided to move 3D

MARTIN SCORSESE is totally for 3D, and also said, dramas like 'Precious" should be made in 3D.

STUPID REASON #3 FOR NOT LIKING AVATAR

4. It beat Star Wars

Okay, that might be valid because of all the nostalgia in the fans

5. James Cameron is egoistic

Orson Welles, Stanley Kubrick........about everyone who made memorable films were egoistic.....even c.unts like David O Russell have their own share of ego. Plus, how does the director's character affect you opinion on his film?

STUPID REASON #4 FOR NOT LIKING AVATAR

6. The storyline didn't match up to the hype

All critics seem to have liked it. 95% Top Critics on rotten tomatoes. Roger Ebert and A.O Scott went on to claim it to be the possible Star Wars killer. People seem to like disassociating themselves with everything that become a pop phenomenon these days. It is highly symbolic. Speaks through metaphors. It resembles 2001 is many ways. Ewya and the Monolith for example. The US invasion plans, capitalism....all provoking truths of the society are presented to us in this veiled form. The character development is superb. James Cameron is best at direct action scenes. KNOWN FACT. The direction was great.

STUPID REASON#6 FOR NOT LIKING AVATAR

7. Too much of CGI.

It looked Realistic. I see no reason to complain about that. Nothing wrong with CGI. LOTR had CGI, no one complained. Avatar's is superior.

STUPID REASON #7 FOR NOT LIKING AVATAR

State your problems with Avatar. Why you hated it or Loved it! CONCRETE REASONS

GREEZY - James Cameron didn't make Sanctum......he produced it

RIVIERE: What do you have to say about The Godfather, True Grit. To Kill A Mockingbird

Ok, for a second, let's consider it a remake of Pocahontas. Isn't it an improvent over that? True Grit, 3-10 To Yuma, many others. Are they bad?

The plot is quite decent, devoid of its comparisons.

MAUS: Great Storytelling and Greater Technical Aspects. Check Roger Ebert's review.

RIVIERE: Apocalypse has never been know for a 'well-defined' story. IT has gained its status as a classic for its Cinematography, Surround Sound and other technical aspects. More than its technical brilliance, its deep characterization and psychoanalysis. The hallowing, psychedelic effect it produces on us.

2001 has again never been hailed as some original story. It is the superior special effects, and the allusions and allegory it uses.

Check history. No great film is made entirely on the merits of its story. Ex. The Searchers, Citizen Kane (plot,cinematography). Stanley Kubrick never achieved real critical acclaim till recently. I see something of that sort after 20 years for Cameron's movies. Star Wars cult status

Favorite Answer

Its envy! If you look at anything and I mean ANYTHING that's popular, there will always be bashing going on, by people that are jealous or envious of there popularity. I do it myself about Harry potter to my wife ,She loves it and I think it sucks and don't know what the big deal is. But my point being there are those who talk to there wife's and those who go on line and bash! If you like Avatar accept that, and don't concern yourself with what other people think, you are entitled to your opinion and you can like what YOU like.......period. Just because you liked it and they didn't, doesn't make it a bad movie.It just means they didn't like it so they want everybody else to dislike it so they can feel normal! Everybody else can kiss your @#$!

i actually liked avatar, although it was pretty much the same generic plot to any other love story...just way beefed up and also was directed by the same guy who directed titanic which was the highest grossed movie of all time....

i think the reason people are bashing avatar now is because james camerons new movie sanctum is complete trash and nothing youd expect a "great" director to do.

But it did copy pocahontas.

Apocalypse now was based on the book heart of darkness, it didn't copy anything. Most of the movies ever made are adapted from books.

Please tell me you didn't just compare Cameron to Kubrick.

Anyhow, I thought Avatar was visually impressive, but the script reads like a Disney movie, so it's hard for me to take it seriously. Some people didn't like the movie, it shouldn't bother you that much.

• Maus

You need to relax. The description on rotten tomatoes says it all - It might be more impressive on a technical level than as a piece of storytelling.

• ?

it was not a horrible movie but was waaaay overrated, just too much hype surrounded it before release so expectations were very high.

people are just jealous because they are not blue and awesome.