Moka San asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 9 years ago

What to add to my healthy salad?

I'm bored of only adding ranch dressing and egg whites..anything else I can add?

Favorite Answer

Grilled, boneless, skinless chicken with lowfat or fatfree italian dressing is my favorite with salad. Especially chicken strips. You can also bake it if you want. Get ideas from fastfood restaurants who sell salads, but change it up to make it healthy. Fish is amazing with it too. And shrimp. My favorite is tilapia. You can bake it, grill it, just don't fry it. Add carrots to it, or different vegetables. It's much healthier if you use fresh vegetables instead of the bags of salad. Add lowfat or nonfat cheese to it. Add croutons. They're not that fattening and low in calories, but make sure you check the nutrition fact 'cause some are different. If you grill a steak, but cut off the fat, and don't season it too much (if you do, use fresh garlic and stuff like that instead of the spices that come in the shaker thing.) that's pretty healthy, as long as your steak isn't super freaking huge. Add turkey to it. You can use deli, but it would taste better if you actually make the turkey, and plus you can use the rest of the turkey for breakfast and dinner. There's alot of ways you can mix it up. Adding fruits like blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, apple slices and raisins add vitamins and antioxidants. Try some nuts, not the salty king, but walnuts and almonds and pecans and cashews and things like that. Nuts are also good with the chicken salad. Hard-boiled eggs, lean beef, and tuna are good. Something I always make when I want a good salad is two cups of green leaf lettuce, one-fourth cup raw green beans, one-fourth cup snap peas, one-fourth cup chopped tomato, one-fourth cup sliced carrots, one-fourth cup apple slices, one-fourth cup blueberries, grilled, boneless and skinless chicken breast, one chopped hard boiled egg, one ounce of shredded mozzarella cheese, one-eighth cup walnut pieces and lemon and lime wedges. Soooo good and it has lots of vitamins, antioxidants, phytochemicals and fiber and comes at just under 400 calories. Add some cucumbers, onions, and mushrooms. Add about 1 oz. of pepperoni slices, it's only about 140 calories. Add roasted turkey breasts or grilled salmon. Add half an avocado. Add smoked salmon. I recommend romaine lettuce. See, there's alot of ways to make a salad that's healthy and good. I eat these and I'm not even on a diet. I just love them. There's more ways too. Be creative. Go to salad bars and fastfood restaurants and notice how they do their salads, but don't eat them. Try to make salads like it but make sure it's healthy. And switch it up each time or else you'll begin to hate it from having it too much.

I boil a whole egg chopped albacore pack sodium light tomato cucumber half chopped with peel purple onion no dressing I use 1 tbsp mustard one tbsp lemon mix it does nit gain weight recommended by dietician yellow bell pepper like half of it Raw all that makes lime a 200 calorie salad or 250 super yummy abd really fills u up

Source(s): SparkPeople.com this site helps a lot too lose maintain or just recipes free site
  • Jon

You could try bits of leftover lean meat such as chicken. You could also add other vegetables such as carrots and peppers.

Also, you could make the salad even healthier by switching to an oil based dressing rather than a cream one. Creamy dressings are mostly saturated fat, while dressings made from plant oil are unsaturated.

You could start with one tbsp of olive oil...which is what you need daily for your health.

I only use vinaigrette with all my salads and also while eating half an avocado.

You can also add olives (I only like the green ones in salads).

Mushrooms, beets and some peas are good too.

I like to add orange, cranberries, goat cheese, few almonds and I like poppy seed dressing instead of ranch much less fat too.

You can add any kind of fruit like berries sliced carrots are good too.

Source(s): I like making weird salads

Pecans, dried cranberries, apple pieces, chicken, feta, red onion, bell pepper, olives, pine nuts, avocado, mandarin oranges.