?
? asked in SportsCycling · 10 years ago

can you recommend cycling shoes for me?

I have been taking a [indoor] spinning class for a few weeks now and I love it. I've been going 3x's a week and the instructor says that if you're going a lot you really should get shoes made for it with the clips on the bottom. my feet always cramp up a bit and she said cycling shoes will prevent them -- can you recommend some for me? and do all cycling shoes clip onto all bikes universally?

Favorite Answer

Cycling shoes do not come with cleats, you have to buy them separately. Shoes should be fitted, meaning you should go to a store where they sell them and try on a few pairs until you find ones that fit. After that, the store can sell you the correct cleat for the pedals on the bikes in your spinning class, and install them on the shoes for you. The stiff soles of the shoes will help prevent the cramping you experience.

• John M

I would get shoes from the local bike shop. Fit is important, most places use SPD pedals so get mountain bike shoes and cleats. The cleats come with the pedals but can be bought separately. If you have a bike get a set of Shimano M-520 pedals.

You should go with Pearl iZUMi Men's Select Road Road Cycling Shoe

The Select Road shoe provides unbeatable fit and performance at an unbeatable price. Select Grade nylon and composite fiber plate for lightweight stiffness and durability Direct-Vent technology for cooling and drainage Concave shaped sole plate for enhanced stiffness and anatomic support Ultra low 7mm stack height Built in longitudinal arch support for optimal support, power, and efficiency Three strap anatomic closure follows the natural shape of the foot to eliminate hot spots and remove pressure from your instep Heel cup has an integrated molded power band for benchmark heel hold and power transfer Select insole provides excellent longitudinal and transverse arch support Three hole Look and two bolt SPD compatible Weight: 265 grams (size 43)